New Year's Eve was another name by which 31st December was known. As the last day of the year — at least according to some Earth calendars — it was often a time for celebrations and parties, generally centered around midnight, when the last few seconds of a year could be experienced. Though the parties which occurred on this date were often raucous, some individuals might have marked the occasion with a somber reflection on the passage of time.
Notable New Year's Eves included:
- 1930: The Eighth Doctor finally brought Charley Pollard to the Raffles Hotel in Singapore, but an old enemy of the Doctor soon forced them to leave for a whirlwind tour of history. (BFA: Seasons of Fear)
- 1965: Chasing the Daleks, the First Doctor briefly materialized his TARDIS in Trafalgar Square during the New Year's Eve celebrations. (DW: The Daleks' Master Plan)
- 1986: Ben and Polly reunited long after their travels with the Doctor had ended. They reflected on the nature of their failed relationship, and their lives with different partners. (ST: Mondas Passing)
- 1999: The Seventh Doctor regenerated when he was accidentally killed by the staff of Walker General Hospital in San Francisco, and then prevented the Master from using the TARDIS to destroy the universe. (DW: Doctor Who) At the same time Iris Wildthyme faced a different threat in San Francisco. (BFIW: The Panda Invasion) The Sixth Doctor and Mel were twice in England on New Year's Eve of this year. Once they stopped an attack by the Great Intelligence, (MA: Millennial Rites) and on another occasion they prevented an attack by the Nestene Consciousness. (DWM: Plastic Millennium) Meanwhile, in Cardiff, Jack Harkness assumed leadership of Torchwood Three, following a tragedy involving the previous leader. (TW: Fragments)
- 2004: Rose Tyler missed a New Year's Eve party, thereby allowing her to unwittingly meet the regenerating Tenth Doctor, prior to the instance when she first encountered the Ninth Doctor. (DW: The End of Time)