Unusually, this episode bore a subtitle. Instead of just Doctor Who Confidential, it went out under the banner Doctor Who Confidential Christmas Special.
This episode, similar to the previous year's Backstage at Christmas, had a limited amount of information regarding production of The Runaway Bride as it was broadcast several hours before the Christmas special; instead its focus was the 2006 Doctor Who-themed Children in Need benefit concert, Doctor Who: A Celebration.
This episode was co-produced with BBC Music.
Aspects of production covered[edit | edit source]
- The origin of the concert from Julie Gardner and Murray Gold.
- Rehearsal of the orchestra and the camera crew.
- The challenges of being the composer for Doctor Who.
- Choreography for the monster actors, and rehearsing the different styles of movement for them, as well as rehearsals for the people who would be 'possessed' by the Sycorax within the concert
- Murray Gold discusses some of his pieces, and his reasoning for designing them in the way that he did.
- Bringing a Dalek onto stage for the concert, and Barnaby Edwards discusses the rehearsal process for the production.
- Nicholas Briggs discusses improvising for the concert, as he had no fixed script for the Dalek.
- Having Cybermen within the audience, and the logistics of that.
- First day of filming on The Runaway Bride.
- Catherine Tate talks about the character of Donna, and the excitement of being part of Doctor Who.
- Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner discuss the positive reception of the concert.
Additional topics covered[edit | edit source]
- The tight timeframe (half a day) between getting into the Wales Millennium Centre to set up and the actual performance.
- Discussion of the history and effectiveness of the theme for Doctor Who, and some of the different versions of it through the classic run of the show.
- David Tennant talks about his nervousness at presenting the event.
- Presentation of some of the music pieces performed at the concert.
- A excerpt from The Runaway Bride, shown at the concert as a sneak preview as it had yet to be broadcast, along with orchestral accompaniment.
People interviewed[edit | edit source]
- David Tennant, The Doctor
- Julie Gardner, Executive Producer, Doctor Who
- Murray Gold, Composer
- Russell T Davies, Head Writer, Doctor Who
- Paul Bullock, Concert Producer
- Ben Foster, Conductor
- Nicholas Briggs, Dalek Voice
- Paul Kasey, Cyberman
- Catherine Tate, Donna
- Phil Collinson, Producer, Doctor Who
Crew[edit | edit source]
- Camera - Mat Bryant, Eric Huyton, Nick Jardine, Aled Jenkins
- Sound - Kevin Meredith, Brian Murrell, Will Planitzer, Phil Turner
Concert Production Team
- BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales
- Senior Producer - Tim Thorne
- Orchestra Manager - Byron Jenkins
- Chorus Manager - Osian Rowlands
- Engineering Managers - John Eynon, Hugh Davidson
- OB Sound - Keith Thomas
- Camera Supervisor - Mike Goodman
- Show Caller - Kate Salberg
- OB Production Assistant - Sian Parry
- Vision Mixer - Alison Bartrop
- Concert Sound - Huw Thomas
- Production Runner - Eryl Ellis
- Lighting Director - Mark Henderson
- Production Team Assistant - Charlie Smith
- Production Manager - Jo Marks
- Producer - Paul Bullock
- Director - Rhodri Huw
Doctor Who Confidential Production Team
- Rhian Arwell, Nicola Brown, Rhiannon Cooper, Will Dennis, Geoff Evans, Tors Grantham, Scott Handcock, Ailsa Jenkins, Sam Jones, Donovan Keogh, Nathan Landeg, Stuart Laws, Jamie Lynch, Mark Procter, Edward Russell, Zoë Rushton, Natalie Street, Hannah Williams, Robert Wootton
- Editor - Tom Appleby
- Additional Editing - Dan Ablett
- Colourist - Perry Gibbs
- Dubbing Mixer - Damian Reynolds
- Executive Producer for BBC Music - David M Jackson
- Executive Producers for Dr Who - Russell T Davies, Julie Gardner
- Executive Producer - Mark Cossey
- Producer & Director - Adam Page
- Series Producer - Gillane Seaborne
Elements retained in Cut Down[edit | edit source]
There was no "Cut Down" version of this episode.
Home video releases[edit | edit source]