Mission: Impractical was the twelfth novel in the BBC Past Doctor Adventures series. It was written by David A. McIntee, released 8 June 1998 and featured the Sixth Doctor, Frobisher and Sabalom Glitz.
It was the first BBC Books novel to feature a character created in another medium — Frobisher, who first appeared in Doctor Who Magazine's comic stories alongside the Sixth Doctor and Seventh Doctor. As the cover indicates, this story also features Sabalom Glitz.
Publisher's summary Edit
When daring criminal Jack Chance masterminds the heist of a precious national treasure from the planet Veltroch, it is the first step in a chain of events that could lead to the destruction of two civilisations...
Pursued by bounty hunters, the Sixth Doctor and his shapeshifting companion Frobisher run into old acquaintances Glitz and Dibber — notorious rogues who have become involved in something big: a covert government agency on Vandor Prime is forcing the pair to turn their criminal talents to its own ends.
The Doctor and Frobisher are soon drawn into the mysterious scheme themselves — but what game is truly being played by the authorities? How is the group of Ogron raiders involved? And who is so desperate to see the Doctor dead?
Caught in a web of deceit and pursued by ruthless killers, the Doctor's mission — should he decide to accept it — is to join Glitz's gang and pull off the crime of the century. And failure will result in an interstellar war costing the lives of millions...
to be added
- Sixth Doctor
- Sabalom Glitz
- Jack Chance
- Niccolo Mandell
- Kala Mandell
- Monty Kast
- Sha'ol is a Tzun, while Karthakh is a Veltrochini. By this point, the Tzun Confederacy has been destroyed.
- The "walking mountains" are located on the planet Haskor. There are one of the Wonders of the Universe.
- Elchur was an agrarian colony until biochemical weapons in an ancient war sterilised its surface.
- This was the first Doctor Who novel to take place between two issues of Doctor Who Magazine comic strips rather than two television serials.
- This was the first full-length story featuring Frobisher to be published in a non-comic medium.
- The title of this story is a reference to Mission: Impossible.
- Dibber is killed, which explains why the Doctor does not ask after him on Svartos. (TV: Dragonfire)
- Frobisher thinks about the Wallarians. (TV: Carnival of Monsters)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Mission: Impractical at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Mission: Impractical