- You may be looking for the song.
Memory Lane was the eighty-eighth story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Eddie Robson and featured Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor, India Fisher as Charlotte Pollard and Conrad Westmaas as C'rizz.
It was writer Robson's first published audio story. He had prior to this written several short stories for Big Finish's Bernice Summerfield series and Short Trips series of anthologies. He continued on to write several more audio stories for Doctor Who and Bernice Summerfield.
Publisher's summary Edit
No summer can ever quite be as glorious as the ones you remember from when you were young, when a sunny afternoon seemed to last forever and all there was to do was ride your bike, eat ice-lollies and play with Lego. Tom Braudy is enjoying just such an afternoon when the TARDIS lands in his Nan's living room and interrupts her in the middle of the snooker.
After they've apologised, the Doctor and his friends soon discover matters of far greater concern than the fact that their time machine is blocking Mrs Braudy's view of a thrilling century break. The street which Tom happily cycles up and down appears to have no beginning or end, and every single house on it is identical.
Is this the future of suburbia, or something even more sinister? Why doesn't Tom look as young as he behaves? And can anybody remember which house the TARDIS is in?
to be added
- The Doctor - Paul McGann
- Charley Pollard - India Fisher
- C'rizz - Conrad Westmaas
- Mrs Braudy - Nina Baden-Sempter
- Kim Kronotska - Sara Carver
- Mawvik - Finlay Glen
- Tom Braudy - Neil Reidman
- Lest - Charlie Ross
- Argot - Neville Watchurst
- Lady Louisa Pollard - Anneke Wills
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor claims he can recall 14 times in which a war started because someone refused a cup of tea.
- Charley's father is Richard Pollard.
- Charley's uncle Jacques was a lieutenant stationed in Ypres during the First World War.
- The Doctor implies that he knew Attila the Hun.
- Marmadons are foul creatures which live in deep space.
- The Lucentrans are a technologically advanced race who have no concept of visual memory.
Real world Edit
- Tom and Charley play with Lego.
- The ice cream van plays the "Greensleeves" jingle.
- Tom and the Doctor order Mr Whippys with 99 Flakes
- The Doctor buys Charley and C'rizz a Solero each.
- This was the last regular use of the second variation of David Arnold's theme arrangement, which was introduced in AUDIO: Invaders from Mars. It would later be implemented again for Doom Coalition 2.
- An illustrated preview for this story featured in the previews section of DWM 375 illustrated by Martin Geraghty.
- This audio drama was recorded on 18 November 2005 at The Moat Studios.
- The second and third editions of AHistory place this story in circa 2237, as it's been 227 years since the astronauts left Earth and they seem to be from the early 21st century.
- Charley mentions her family's cook Edith Thompson (AUDIO: The Chimes of Midnight) and her tendency to befriend gypsies in her youth, to her mother's chagrin (AUDIO: Other Lives).
- C'rizz remarks, "What is it with prisons and the TARDIS lately?" (AUDIO: Something Inside)
- Charley refers to the fact that she has encountered illusory versions of her mother on two previous occasions. (AUDIO: Zagreus, The Next Life)
- Official Memory Lane page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Memory Lane at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide