Master was the forty-ninth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. It featured the Seventh Doctor played by Sylvester McCoy and Geoffrey Beevers as the Master. This was his second audio appearance as the Master with the first being AUDIO: Dust Breeding.
Many years ago, on a dark and stormy night, the disfigured and enigmatic Doctor John Smith invited his closest friends, Inspector Victor Schaeffer and his wife, to a dinner to celebrate his birthday. A mere few hours later all the occupants in that house had been changed — some were dead, others mentally scarred forever by the events of that night.
So, what happened to the distinguished dinner guests on that evening? Perhaps we'll never know. But two clues have led to much speculation — found outside the study window, a charred umbrella with a curved red handle and found inside the house, a blood-stained copy of Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
For one person, this night represented an ending: an ending to one thousand years of darkness and an ending to ten years of light.
But for everyone else, is there no ending of this one night of Hell?
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- The Master - Geoffrey Beevers
- Victor Schaeffer - Philip Madoc
- Jacqueline Schaeffer - Anne Ridler
- Jade - Charlie Hayes
- The Man - Daniel Barzotti
- Child - Joe Bassett
- Whispering Voices - Gary Russell
- John Smith owns books by Dr Julia Steer (The Divided Self), Professor Summerfield (Man, Two Hearts in One Mind), Dostoevsky, Stevenson, Welsh.
Personifications of concepts
- Death makes an appearance.
- An Empress is mentioned.
- Professor Summerfield has written Man: Two Hearts in One Mind.
- Victor Schaeffer is an Adjudicator.
- The Doctor and the Master were bullied as children by Torvic.
- This story marks the first appearance of Death in an audio drama.
- This would be the final audio drama to feature the Master until AUDIO: Trail of the White Worm in May 2012.
- This audio drama was recorded on 30 and 31 July 2003 at The Moat Studios.
- An illustrated preview by Martin Geraghty appeared in DWM 336.
- The Master says that he is Death's champion, similar to how the Doctor is Time's champion. (PROSE: Love and War)
- When the Doctor talks about the Master's history, he apparently mentions events on Traken (TV: The Keeper of Traken) and Duchamp 331. (AUDIO: Dust Breeding)
- The Doctor first encountered this incarnation of the Master on Duchamp 331 in the 26th century. (AUDIO: Dust Breeding)
- The Doctor uses the name "Vaughn Sutton" as a pseudonym. (AUDIO: Excelis Decays)
- The Doctor says he's known "one or two" Adjudicators. (PROSE: Original Sin)
- The Doctor mentions how he was disowned by his family. (PROSE: Lungbarrow)
- The Doctor recalls someone telling him "exposure to evil, even the smallest amount, can corrode the soul." (AUDIO: Primeval)
- Death refers to how the Doctor used to play with his spoons and mix up his metaphors, (TV: Time and the Rani) but how he is now too busy destroying planets and wiping out old foes. (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks, TV: Silver Nemesis).
- Death sings a version of the Zagreus poem, then wonders what put that into her head. (AUDIO: Zagreus)
- Official Master page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Master at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide