Castle Extremis - whoever holds it can control the provinces either side that have been at war for centuries. Now the castle is about to play host to the signing of a peace treaty. But as the Doctor and Martha find out, not everyone wants the war to end.
Who is the strange little girl who haunts the castle? What is the secret of the book the Doctor finds, its pages made from thin, brittle glass? Who is the hooded figure that watches from the shadows? And what is the secret of the legendary Mortal Mirror?
The Doctor and Martha don't have long to find the answers - an army is on the march, and the castle will soon be under siege once more.
to be added
- Tenth Doctor
- Martha Jones
- High Minister Defron
- Manfred Grieg
- Lady Casaubon
- Secretary Chekz
- General Orlo
- Colonel Blench
- Professor Thorodin
- Defron quotes Tony Blair.
- The Doctor mentions "Light Wave Sickness".
- The Doctor uses an Everlasting Match.
- The Doctor mentions a Dimensional Osmosis Damper.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The third edition of AHistory dates the story to 2112, as the Mortal Mirror was built one hundred years earlier by the Darksmiths, who were killed in 2012, making it the latest the story could occur.
- The Doctor has previously seen mirrors that can act like portals to another dimension. (COMIC: Mirror Image)
- The Mortal Mirror was created by the Darksmith Collective, which makes an appearance in The Darksmith Legacy series of books.
- The Doctor says that the Mortal Mirror can't be a real mirror, or it would have "a girl with a red balloon" inside it. (TV: The Family of Blood)
- The Doctor uses the sonic screwdriver to detect landmines, something he previously did in TV: The Sea Devils.
- When contemplating a maze with moving walls, the Doctor starts to mention a maze he was in once. (TV: The Horns of Nimon)
- This novel was released as an audiobook as part of the New Adventures box set along with Snowglobe 7 and The Many Hands on 9 October 2008 by BBC Audio and read by Freema Agyeman.
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Martha in the Mirror at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Martha in the Mirror