Hulke began his association with Doctor Who as early as Season 1, for which he contributed the storyline for The Hidden Planet (a.k.a. Beyond the Sun), a serial which ultimately did not get accepted. Along with Terrance Dicks, in The War Games, he co-created the concept of the Time Lords and offered viewers their first glimpse of Gallifrey. He also created the reptilian Silurians, their cousins the Sea Devils, and the Draconians. For Target Books, he wrote novelisations of every story he had written solo, and several he had worked on with other writers.
Hulke wrote scripts for a variety of TV shows including: Pathfinders in Space, Pathfinders to Venus, Pathfinders to Mars, The Avengers, The Protectors, Danger Man, Crossroads, United! and Gideon's Way.
He is noted for fleshing out minor characters in novelisations, writing shades of grey, and a strong interest in left-wing politics. Alan Barnes noted in the On Target: Malcolm Hulke documentary included on The War Games DVD that you can "see a political subtext in everything he wrote".
Selected credits Edit
Doctor Who Edit
- The Faceless Ones (with David Ellis)
- The War Games (with Terrance Dicks)
- Doctor Who and the Silurians
- The Ambassadors of Death (uncredited re-writes)
- Colony in Space
- The Sea Devils
- Frontier in Space
- Invasion of the Dinosaurs
- Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
- Doctor Who and the Doomsday Weapon
- Doctor Who and the Sea-Devils
- Doctor Who and the Green Death
- Doctor Who and the Dinosaur Invasion
- Doctor Who and the Space War
- Doctor Who and the War Games
- Internet Movie Database at the