Ralph Watson as Captain Knight holds the record for the longest time between debut on television and reprisal of the role at Big Finish. The character's debut in the first part of The Web of Fear in 1968 and return in The Web of Time in 2019 for The Diary of River Song: Series Six were separated by over fifty-one years.
In contrast, David Bradley as the First Doctor holds the record for the shortest time between debut and reprisal. In 2013, Bradley played William Hartnell in An Adventure in Space and Time but did not officially appear as the Doctor until the cliffhanger in the closing moments of The Doctor Falls on 1 July 2017. He appeared on audio on Christmas Day that year in The First Doctor Adventures: Volume One, the same day as his first full television appearance in Twice Upon a Time, less than six months since his television debut.
The Doctor Edit
|Actor||Character||Stories||First story||Last story|
|Tom Baker||Fourth Doctor||84||Destination: Nerva (2012)||Shadow of the Sun (2020)|
|Peter Davison||Fifth Doctor||126||The Sirens of Time (1999)||Nightmare Country (2019)|
|Colin Baker||Sixth Doctor||148||The Sirens of Time (1999)||Scorched Earth (2020)|
|Sylvester McCoy||Seventh Doctor||129||The Sirens of Time (1999)||Subterfuge (2020)|
|Paul McGann||Eighth Doctor||147||Storm Warning (2001)||Divine Intervention (2020)|
|David Tennant||Tenth Doctor||11||Technophobia (2016)||The Chiswick Cuckoos (2020)|
|John Hurt||War Doctor||12||The Innocent (2015)||The Enigma Dimension (2017)|
|David Bradley||First Doctor||11||The Destination Wars (2017)||The Shoreditch Intervention (2020)|
Recurring characters Edit
Other characters Edit
Spin-off characters Edit
Other information Edit
- Claudia Grant, Jamie Glover and Jemma Powell, who portrayed Carole Ann Ford, William Russell and Jacqueline Hill in An Adventure in Space and Time, voiced Susan, Ian and Barbara in The First Doctor Adventures and The Diary of River Song: Series Six with David Bradley as the Doctor. Jemma Powell also voiced Barbara in The Early Adventures opposit William Russell, Carole Ann Ford and Maureen O'Brien.
- Nicholas Briggs is the only actor who reprised his role from Big Finish audio stories in the TV series, having voiced the Daleks, Cybermen and Ice Warriors.
- Jackie Lane remains the last living actor, who played the Doctor's companion in the original series and didn't reprise the role at Big Finish. John Levene and Matthew Waterhouse were the last to change their minds about returning to the role.
- Noel Clarke, Arthur Darvill and Jenna Coleman have not yet returned to their roles of the Doctor's companions from the new series, but were cast in different Big Finish Doctor Who related stories.
- Anthony Ainley was invited to reprise the role of the Master in 2001, but Big Finish were unable to reach a suitable deal with him.
- Elisabeth Sladen voiced Sarah Jane Smith only in her own Big Finish spin-off in 2002-2006. A week before her death in 2011, she and Tom Baker had signed a contract to begin recording the first series of the Fourth Doctor Adventures.
- Kate O'Mara was due to return as the Rani in 2014, but passed away a few weeks before recording began. Siobhan Redmond was cast as the new incarnation of the Rani.
- Trevor Martin played the Doctor both in the 1974 stage play Doctor Who and the Daleks in Seven Keys to Doomsday and in the 2008 audio adaptation.
- John Line played John Ladiver in the 1965 stage play The Curse of the Daleks and in 2008 returned to the production, portraying the older Professor Vanderlyn in the audio adaptation.