Kingdom of Lies was the two hundred and thirty-fourth story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Robert Khan and Tom Salinsky and featured Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor, Matthew Waterhouse as Adric, Sarah Sutton as Nyssa and Janet Fielding as Tegan Jovanka.
Publisher's summary Edit
On the planet Cicero Prime, the kingdom of Cardenas is divided, with the whole population forced to swear allegiance to either the effete Duke or the fiery, hard-edged Duchess. This is a situation both parties have grown tired of. What use is half a kingdom when, thanks to a carefully engineered murder, you could have it all?
Surely, neither of them would be rash enough to summon the deadly off-world assassin the Scorpion to help with their problem? And surely, this terrifying figure wouldn’t arrive wearing a long cream coat and striped trousers…?
Part one Edit
The TARDIS lands on the planet Cicero Prime, where the Duke and Duchess have just been married. However, a border separates their two kingdoms, clearly not showing unity between the two. The Fifth Doctor and Nyssa end up on one half of the line, with Tegan and Adric on the other. The Doctor meets the Duke of Cardenas, who mistakes the Doctor for assassin the Scorpion and Nyssa for his assistant (named Nyssa the Destroyer). Meanwhile, Tegan and Adric befriend the Duchess and her butler Tomek, who hires them as her bodyguards. The Doctor, as the Scorpion, is persuaded by the Duke's assistant Amelia to kill the Duchess on her way to the kingdom, but misses and supposedly kills Tegan and Adric.
Part two Edit
to be added
Part three Edit
to be added
Part four Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Adric - Matthew Waterhouse
- Nyssa - Sarah Sutton
- Tegan - Janet Fielding
- Sebastian Duke of Cardenas - Jonathan Firth
- Duchess Miranda - Charlotte Lucas
- Amelia - Harriet Thorpe
- Lord Crozion - Tim Bentinck
- Lady Crozion - Richenda Carey
- Tomek - Piotr Hatherer
- Mercenary - Patsy Kensit
- Additional Voices - Harry Smith
- The people of Cicero Prime place bets on the Battle of the Equinoids.
- Tegan mentions the dead reckoning on a 747.
- The Scorpion is the "most feared assassin in the sector" and the deadliest in the Seven Systems.
- Cicero Beta is another planet in the system.
- The Scorpion uses a stasis field, also called a stasis bubble.
- This story was recorded on 9 and 10 July 2017 at The Moat Studios, London.
- According to the script, the story had the working title Death and the Duchy.
- Patsy Kensit played the Scorpion in this story, but she is credited on the Big Finish website as "Mercenary".