Is There Life on Mars? was the episode of Doctor Who Confidential broadcast in conjunction with The Waters of Mars. Its title is both a line from and a reference to the David Bowie song "Life on Mars". A reference to the singer is also in the episode.
Aspects of production covered Edit
- Designing of the prosthetics for the Flood.
- On-set rehearsal of certain scenes before blocking them out physically.
- Filming of the chase scenes within this story.
- The designing of GADGET, and the fun of getting pulled along on top of him in one scene.
Additional topics covered Edit
- Balancing the potential visual scariness of a monster with the family nature of the show.
People interviewed Edit
- Russell T Davies, Head Writer
- Nikki Wilson, Producer
- David Tennant, The Doctor
- Phil Ford, Co-writer, Waters of Mars
- Lindsay Duncan, Adelaide Brooke
- Julie Gardner, Executive Producer
- Graeme Harper, Director
- Neill Gorton, Prosthetics Designer
- Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Maggie Cain
- Peter O'Brien, Ed Gold
- Edward Thomas, Production Designer
- Paul Kelly, Special Effects Supervisor
- Aleksandar Mikic, Yuri Kerenski
- Michael Goldsmith, Roman Groom
- Cosima Shaw, Steffi Ehrlich
- Ailsa Berk, Choreographer
- Alan Ruscoe, Andy Stone
- Danny Hargreaves, Special Effects Supervisor
- Abbi Collins, Stunt Co-ordinator
Music list Edit
- "Invaders Must Die" by The Prodigy
- "Also Sprach Zarathustra - Tone Poem for Large Orchestra, Op. 30: Introduction" by Richard Strauss
- "Creep" by Radiohead
- "Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go)" by The Noisettes
- "Ziggy Stardust" by David Bowie
- "Inspector Gadget Theme" by Shuki Levy
- "Life On Mars?" by David Bowie
- "War of the Worlds" by Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly
- "Fire" by Kasabian
- "Red" by Elbow
- Camera - Eric Huyton, Aled Jenkins, Jon Rees, Andy Smith
- Sound - Dafydd Parry, Jon Thomas
- Runners - James Bowen, Claire Riley
- Researchers - Matthew Andrews, Stuart Laws, Robert Wootton
- Assistant Producers - Ian Hay, Donovan Keogh, Hannah Williams
- Production Accountant - Kevin Rickwood
- Team Assistant - Emma Chapman
- Production Co-ordinators - Megan Pinches, Tors Grantham
- Production Manager - Katy Cartwright
- Production Executive - Stan Matthews
- Colourist - Matt Mullins
- Dubbing Mixer - Mark Ferda
- Editor - Lizzie Minnion
- Edit Producer - Paul Symonds
- Executive Producer - Mark Cossey
- Executive Producers for Dr Who - Russell T Davies, Julie Gardner
- Producer - Zoë Rushton
- Series Producer - Gillane Seaborne
Elements retained in Cut Down Edit
There was no "Cut Down" version of this episode.
Home video releases Edit
The full length episode is available on the Doctor Who: 2009 Winter Specials DVD & Blu-ray box sets and the Doctor Who: The Complete Specials DVD & Blu-ray box sets.