Instruments of Darkness was the forty-eighth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Sixth Doctor, Melanie Bush and Evelyn Smythe. This was the first novel to feature a character from Big Finish Productions' Doctor Who audio story range. Evelyn Smythe had first appeared in AUDIO: The Marian Conspiracy, and when this novel was published had appeared in five audio stories.
The leaders on planet Earth think that the Magnate is a mysterious 'shadow Government' that controls the world. It isn't. The leaders believe the Network to be a ramshackle, paranoid outfit of European anarchists who will eventually blow themselves up. They won't. The leaders believe that if there are humans who can control things with their minds - ESPnets - they're few and far between, and not worth worrying about. They're wrong. The leaders believe that one minute after midnight on 31 December 1993, a new year, full of promise, will begin. They're wrong.
The Doctor and Mel arrive on Earth just days before New Year. An old friend has been kidnapped and taken to France. And two murderous enemies are setting up a new life in the Peak District. Which of these threats should the Doctor deal with first? And why is his old travelling companion Evelyn Smythe using her knowledge of the future to make a fortune from chocolate cake recipes?!
to be added
- Mel scolds the Doctor for failing to return a hired Volkswagen Beetle. He protests that his former companions, Grant Markham and Evelyn Smythe, would have let him keep the car.
- This is a sequel to PROSE: The Scales of Injustice and PROSE: Business Unusual.
- This account of Mel's first meeting with Evelyn, along with Evelyn's post-TARDIS life, is in open and irresolvable conflict with AUDIO: Thicker than Water and A Death in the Family.
- The Doctor's first meeting with Evelyn in AUDIO: The Marian Conspiracy is mentioned. Evelyn also refers to Romana II and Charles Darwin, whom she met in AUDIO: The Apocalypse Element and AUDIO: Bloodtide respectively.
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Instruments of Darkness at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Instruments of Darkness