Inferno was a novelisation based on the 1970 television serial Inferno.
Publisher's summary Edit
A crisis develops when a noxious liquid leaks out as drilling progresses – the green poison has a grotesquely debilitating effect on human beings.
As the Earth's plight worsens, the Doctor is trapped in a parallel world, unable to rescue the planet and its inhabitants from the destructive force of Inferno...
Chapter titles Edit
- Project Inferno
- The Beast
- The Slime
- Dimension of Terror
- The Nightmare
- Death Sentence
- Countdown to Doom
- The Monsters
- Escape Plan
- Return to Danger
- The Last Mutation
- The Doctor Takes a Trip
Deviations from televised story Edit
- The "door handle" is confirmed to be the sonic screwdriver.
- The Doctor deduces how the parallel Earth became a dictatorship.
- Stahlman's motivation is explored in more detail.
- Stahlman is said to have grown up in the ruins of post-war Germany (so he's either younger in the novelisation or the story is set circa 1990, unless he is describing the First World War).
- The Doctor is traumatised by the destruction of the other Earth.
- Stahlman is described as burly and Liz as having reddish-brown hair, neither of which entirely reflects their on screen appearance.
- Stahlman's first name is given as Eric.
- It is explained that the Doctor plans to use a power surge from the project's reactor to overload the blocks placed on the TARDIS.
- Benton refers to Bromley by name: In the televised version, his surname is only given in the credits.
- The character of Latimer is unnamed.
- The scene between Sir Keith Gold and Patterson prior to the car crash is removed. Sir Keith states he was unconscious for several hours, explaining his disappearance.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- One of several titles commissioned by outgoing range editor Christine Donohoe and edited by Nigel Robinson.
- This novelisation was later released as part of The UNIT Collection.
Additional cover images Edit
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
to be added