- You may wish to consult
Hope (disambiguation)for other, similarly-named pages.
Publisher's summary Edit
In the far future, the city of Hope isn't a place for the weak.
The air is thick with fog. The sea burns. Law and order are a thing of the past. Headless corpses are being found at the edge of the city, and the militia can't find the killer. Members of a deranged cult mutilate themselves while plotting the deaths of their enemies.
Even the Doctor can't see any possibility of redemption for this cursed place. All he wants to do is leave, but to do so he needs the TARDIS — and the TARDIS is lost in the depths of a toxic sea. When the most powerful man on the planet offers to retrieve the TARDIS — for a price — the Doctor has no choice but to accept.
But while the Doctor is hunting a killer, another offer is being made — one which could tear the Doctor and his companions apart...
to be added
- Eighth Doctor
- Fitz Kreiner
- Anji Kapoor
- Joshua Kent
- Maria don Silvestre
- Anji and Dave once visited the Canada Memorial in Green Park.
- Food on Endpoint includes carbos, protes, vitcliks, and stimulikes. Drinks include sulph-shakes, hedeez and caffy, a drink similar to coffee.
- The Silverati are humans transformed into semi-synthetic beings by Silver.
- A2756 is a planet close to Endpoint.
- Cities on Endpoint include Hope, Triumph and Persistence.
- Anji betrays the secrets of the TARDIS in order to get a clone made of her dead boyfriend Dave.
- Fitz mentions Raymond Chandler.
- This is the same version of the end of the universe as seen in Lance Parkin's The Infinity Doctors, Father Time, and Miranda. Mark Clapham had previously written Analysis, a short story for Walking in Eternity, where the Eighth Doctor, during his amnesic century on Earth, confesses dreams of a lifeless grey "nothing," the same grey void seen in The Infinity Doctors and referenced in Kate Orman and Jon Blum's Unnatural History.
- The Imperial family of the universe is implied to be the one mentioned in PROSE: Father Time. The Miranda comic series confirms that Endpoint is in fact within the Emperor's empire.
- The Doctor is still affected by the loss of his second heart (PROSE: The Adventuress of Henrietta Street), learning during this story that the loss of his heart has also deprived him of his ability to process toxins in his bloodstream and his respiratory bypass system. The novel also opens shortly after he has shaved off the beard he grew while he was staying in Henrietta Street.
- Anji is still feeling loss over the death of her boyfriend, Dave Young. (PROSE: Escape Velocity)
- Anji mentions Ceres Alpha and Albert. (PROSE: Dark Progeny, Grimm Reality)
- Anji recalls the climactic storm on Hitchemus. (PROSE: The Year of Intelligent Tigers)
- The Doctor gives Anji and Fitz golden discs from the equipment of the humans they had met on the planet Albert. (PROSE: Grimm Reality)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Hope at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Hope
- Throwback Interview: Mark Clapham (2002)
- BBC.co.uk website interview with Mark Clapham, 01 January 2004
- Outpost Gallifrey - Interview: Mark Clapham (archived)