Heroes of Sontar was the one hundred and forty-sixth story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Alan Barnes and featured Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor, Sarah Sutton as Nyssa, Janet Fielding as Tegan Jovanka and Mark Strickson as Turlough.
Released in April 2011, it was the first story in that year's trilogy of stories featuring the Fifth Doctor along with Tegan, Turlough and an older Nyssa who rejoined them in Cobwebs. This was the first Big Finish audio story to feature the Sontarans.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
Planet Samur was once a peaceful haven. Pilgrims journeyed across the seven galaxies to meditate in the courtyards of the vast Citadel that spanned its equator. It was Samur's misfortune, however, to find itself situated on the furthermost frontier in the eternal war between the amoeboid Rutan Host and the belligerent, troll-like Sontarans...
Twenty years after detonating a bacteriological weapon over Samur, rendering it uninhabitable, the Sontarans are back: a select platoon of seven has landed here on a secret mission, carrying sealed orders given to them by Fleet Marshal Stabb.
The TARDIS has landed here, too, bringing the Doctor, Tegan, Turlough and Nyssa into the second great Battle of Samur. Fighting not only the Sontarans, but mystical mercenaries... and a deadly, decades-old curse.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Part one[edit | edit source]
to be added
Part two[edit | edit source]
to be added
Part three[edit | edit source]
to be added
Part four[edit | edit source]
to be added
Cast[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Nyssa - Sarah Sutton
- Tegan - Janet Fielding
- Turlough - Mark Strickson
- Fleet Marshal Stabb / Trooper Jorr/ Witch Guard - John Banks
- Field-Major Thurr/ Adjutant/ Orbital Command - Duncan Wisbey
- Sergeant Mezz/ Trooper Nold - Alex Lowe
- Corporal Clun - Andrew Fettes
- Trooper Vend - Derek Carlyle
References[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Tegan's aunt Vanessa was seemingly fond of saying, "Bog off."
Planets[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor visited Samur approximately thirty years earlier.
Timeline[edit | edit source]
- It is the Sontaran martial year 5709.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This audio drama was recorded on 17 and 20 December 2010 at The Moat Studios.
- It was released on 14 April 2011.
- This story is set between Enlightenment and The King's Demons.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- This marks the first time that the Fifth Doctor faces the Sontarans in his personal timeline. He would later do so again in AUDIO: The Five Companions, PROSE: The Eight Doctors and PROSE: Lords of the Storm.
- Tegan claims that the Mara is no longer in her system. (AUDIO: The Cradle of the Snake)
- The Sontarans are still angry about "that Gallifrey incident." (TV: The Invasion of Time)
- Nyssa tells Tegan that she is married to a man named Lasarti and that they have three children named Neeka, Tegan and Adric, who is the youngest and a teenager. Furthermore, she implores Tegan not to tell the Doctor in order to maintain the Web of Time as he will not find out that she was married until shortly before his regeneration into the Sixth Doctor. (AUDIO: Winter)
- The Doctors refers to his encounter with Jingo Linx in the 13th century during his third incarnation. (TV: The Time Warrior)
- Nyssa mentions encountering the Rutans in Stockbridge in 1199. (AUDIO: Castle of Fear)
- Nyssa uses the name of her late father Tremas as her access password. (TV: The Keeper of Traken)
- Turlough refers to the underground complexes on Heiradi. (TV: Frontios)
- Turlough would later encounter the Sontarans for the second time in the Unukalhai system in 2371. (PROSE: Lords of the Storm)
- Nyssa previously encountered the Sontarans in an alternative Death Zone on Gallifrey. This event has yet to take place in the Doctor's personal timeline. Notably, Nyssa does not appear to remember this incident. This is consistent with the Doctor's statement that her memory of her experience in the alternative Death Zone would most likely be hazy after she was returned to her rightful place in history, namely Terminus in the 35th century. (AUDIO: The Five Companions)
- Previous Sontarans the Doctor has met are mentioned, one Sontaran prays by the name of Linx (TV: The Time Warrior) and the Fleet Martial says the Doctor is to be tortured in accordance with the works of Field Major Styre. The Doctor was unaware Styre had published them (TV: The Sontaran Experiment).
- As a Junior Ensign Commander, Turlough outranks some of the Sontarans on Samur. (TV: Planet of Fire)
- Stabb plans to torture the Doctor using Styre's notes on the human body. (TV:The Sontaran Experiment)
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Official Heroes of Sontar page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Heroes of Sontar at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide