Not long before their trip to the Mondasian colony ship, the Twelfth Doctor and Bill Potts travelled to Gosligi's Branch tracking the signal of a Dalek harvest ship. Noting that the ship's tractor beams are abducting children, the Doctor runs into the open, his child-like mentality beaming him and Bill aboard.
Making his way to the ship's control room, the Doctor finds it automated, abducting children to harvest their creativity and upgrade the Pathweb. Suspecting that the old ship was pulled out of storage for the Last Great Time War, the Doctor wires himself in and puts it in a holding pattern, stripping its software to its most basic levels.
Despite this however, the door remains locked, even to the Doctor's Dalek impression. After Emily mentions "basic functions", the Doctor realises that the most basic thing to a Dalek is "Kaled", the word opening the door.
- The Doctor cites imagination, jelly babies, Mario Cart, ice cream, fish fingers and custard, and Harry Potter as things to think about in order to "think like a child".
- The Doctor lists Bronte, Carr, Dickinson, Pankhurst and Blunt as famous women named Emily.
- A Dalek harvest ship is ancient, its password being Kaled.
- "Eleven plus two" is an anagram of "twelve plus one". Both sums, coincidentally, equal thirteen.
- The Doctor and Bill are seen wearing the clothes they wore in TV: Smile
- The Doctor mentions Mario Kart, however the story misspells it as Mario Cart.
- Bill recalls meeting a Dalek before, and how it tried to kill Heather. (TV: The Pilot)
- The Doctor voices his dislike of pears. (TV: Hell Bent)
- The Doctor tries to open a door on the Dalek flying saucer using a comb. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- The Doctor mentions the Kaleds. (TV: Genesis of the Daleks)