Harvest of Time was a 2013 Doctor Who novel, unusual for being a new Third Doctor novel published while the BBC Wales television series featured another incumbent Doctor. Poll results published in issue 479 of Doctor Who Magazine showed that readers had selected it as the best fiction book of that year.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
After billions of years of imprisonment, the vicious Sild have broken out of confinement. From a ruined world at the end of time, they make preparations to conquer the past, with the ultimate goal of rewriting history. But to achieve their aims they will need to enslave an intellect greater than their own...
On Earth, UNIT is called in to investigate a mysterious incident on a North Sea drilling platform. The Doctor believes something is afoot, and no sooner has the investigation begun when something even stranger takes hold: The Brigadier is starting to forget about UNIT's highest-profile prisoner. And he is not alone in his amnesia.
As the Sild invasion begins, the Doctor faces a terrible dilemma. To save the universe, he must save his arch-nemesis... The Master
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Third Doctor
- Jo Grant
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
- Captain Mike Yates
- Sergeant Benton
- The Master
- Eddie McCrimmon
References[edit | edit source]
- Including other time streams, the Master has about 470 incarnations in total.
- The Master's personality has always been influenced by the Assemblage, an organic computer made by the combination of all his selves.
- The Doctor mentions Type 44 TARDISes.
- Ice Warriors and Judoon are mentioned.
- The Master discovered an old TARDIS near the end of the universe. LIke the Doctor's TARDIS, it's an old Type 40 with a malfunctioning chameleon circuit which the Master easily repaired.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Audio release[edit | edit source]
- The story was released as an audiobook read by Geoffrey Beevers, with a total play time of 11h, 47min.
- The audiobook was available as a download from the AudioGo website, and is now available from Audible.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor mentions the Master's previous alliances with the Nestene Consciousness (TV: Terror of the Autons) and the Axos. (TV: The Claws of Axos)
- One of the Master's future incarnations is said to look like a "politician". (TV: The Sound of Drums)
- The Doctor notices various disfigured versions of the Master, reflecting the condition he was depicted in during TV: The Deadly Assassin and The Keeper of Traken.
- The Doctor recalls seeing the Earth destroyed millions of years in the far future. (TV: The Ark)
- This was the first appearance of a female incarnation of the Master. A female incarnation using the diminutive "Missy", short for the Mistress, would later reveal herself to the Twelfth Doctor in TV: Dark Water.