Going Once, Going Twice was the third short story in The Book of the Peace, written by Jacob Black. It was a partial sequel to Black's short story A Bloody (And Public) Domaine in The Book of the Enemy and the audio series The True History of Faction Paradox.
Summary[edit | edit source]
to be added
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Godfather Auteur
- Little Brother Kifah
- Brother Intrepid
- Brother Gustav
- Horus (Eliza)
- Baron of Trilermeriaq
- Ice Heiress
References[edit | edit source]
- The Ochenissi Tablet is named after the planet Ochenissi, which was turned into fiction in the Four Seconds of Ochenissi.
- A member of the Cephalopodic Coterie attends the auction.
- The Eighth Wave fought Faction Paradox skulltroopers in the Frozen Battle of Cratosi Fields.
- A quilled centaur bids the moon of Troth.
- Cortalian has a Type 75 timeship.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This story received three preludes in The Book of the Peace Dossier: The Story So Far..., Daring Initiation, and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.
- Going Once, Going Twice was accompanied in the author-curated Spotify playlist by the songs Madness by Muse and Mars, the Bringer of War by Gustav Holst.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Auteur and the Shadow Spire previously featured in PROSE: A Bloody (And Public) Domaine.
- The Homeworlders are referred to as "Chronarchs" (COMIC: 4-D War) and "Watchmakers". (PROSE: Christmas on a Rational Planet)
- The observer effect is discussed. (PROSE: The Infinity Doctors, The Gallifrey Chronicles, The Cosmology of the Spiral Politic, et al.)
- Auteur writes in a circular language that can program history. (TV: Rose, et al.)
- Remembering Mars, Gustav thinks of hives, (AUDIO: Red Dawn, TV: Empress of Mars) swords, and rituals. (PROSE: Legacy, COMIC: Descendance)
- Some people attending the auction heard cries of Peace from angels (PROSE: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing) "skulled theatre troupes", (PROSE: What Keeps Their Lines Alive) and shadows that "seeped into their bedrooms at night". (PROSE: The Ugly Spirit)
- Cortalian's Servitors are biodata-altered versions of massive, snake-like creatures from a forgotten swamp planet. (PROSE: Daring Initiation)
- Kifah recalls that the War in Heaven has a history with auctions, usually "an exclusive event of a select few Wartime powers and one or two lucky lesser species" over "a bit of weaponry here, an ancient relic there". (PROSE: Alien Bodies)
- Disembodied body parts of Homeworlders are sold with under the tagline "grow your own lord of history". (TV: Journey's End)
- Items on auction include star systems in glass bottles, (PROSE: Dead Romance) red rockets "programmed to wapr reality and knock entire cities into a postmodern nightmare", (PROSE: This Town Will Never Let Us Go) a Homeworlder hybrid shrunk into a bottle, (COMIC: Return of the Daleks) and the gear shaft of a bus-shaped timeship that crashed into the City of the Saved. (PROSE: A Hundred Words from a Civil War)
- A technosapien attends the auction. (PROSE: Weapons Grade Snake Oil, Happily Ever After Is a High-Risk Strategy)
- Mars is in a constant state of temporal flux (PROSE: The Ninnies on Putney Common, Iris Wildthyme of Mars) due to Homeworld experiments, the fight between Sutekh and Horus, (AUDIO: The Judgment of Sutekh) and the enemy's overwriting narrative. (PROSE: The Book of the Enemy)
- Following the death of the Eleven-Day Empire, (AUDIO: The Shadow Play) Faction Paradox is scattered and being picked off one by one by forces such as the Houses and the enemy. (PROSE: A Farewell to Arms, [additional sources needed])
- Apep was created to protect Ra on the Ship of a Billion Years after the Great Houses, masters of stellar engineering, became interesting in the Osirian Court. (AUDIO: The Ship of a Billion Years)
- Apep was inoculated with anti-time. (AUDIO: Zagreus)
- Auteur summarises the schism and civil war among the Osirians. (AUDIO: Body Politic, Words from Nine Divinities, et al.)