Barely escaping with their lives, they discover that the city is rife with tales of "half-made men" who roam the streets at night and steal people away. These creatures, it is said, are as white as salt and have only shadows where their eyes should be. With help from India's great spiritual leader, Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi, the Doctor and Donna set out to investigate these rumours.
What is the real truth behind the "half-made men"? Why is Gandhi's role in history under threat? And has an ancient, all-powerful god of destruction really come back to wreak his vengeance upon the Earth?
to be added
- Tenth Doctor
- Donna Noble
- Mohandas Gandhi
- Edward Morgan
- Cameron Campbell
- Adelaide Campbell
- Ronny Campbell
- Sir Edgar Campbell
- Mary Campbell
- Major Daker
- Captain McMahon
- Private Wilkins
- Gelem warriors
- The ears of a Fostarone turn blue when they lie.
- The Doctor initially believes that he and Donna have arrived in 1937.
- Zytron energy was discovered on Earth in 4947.
- Veec-9 has a Mezon disintegrator 7.5.
- The Doctor uses the alias John Smith and the phrase allons-y.
- The Doctor uses his psychic paper and sonic screwdriver.
Food and Beverages
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- During his fifth incarnation, the Doctor previously visited Calcutta on 31 December 1926 in the company of Nyssa, Tegan Jovanka and Turlough. (AUDIO: The Emerald Tiger)
- The Doctor mentions having had a relationship with Cleopatra, confirming Mickey Smith's suspicions to that effect. (TV: The Girl in the Fireplace)
- Donna calls the Doctor a Martian. (TV: The Runaway Bride)
- The Doctor has a satsuma in his pocket. (TV: The Christmas Invasion)
- The Doctor says "once you've faced one god of destruction, you've faced them all". He has faced many such gods in his life. (TV: The Dæmons, Pyramids of Mars, The Curse of Fenric, The Impossible Planet)
- The Doctor refers to his teaching days. (TV: School Reunion, Human Nature / The Family of Blood)
- Donna recalls the first time that she met the Doctor. (TV: The Runaway Bride)
- Donna sees an image of the Empress of the Racnoss, this being one of the things that scares her most. (TV: The Runaway Bride)
- The Doctor has a yo-yo in his pocket. (TV: The Ark in Space, Kill the Moon)
- Donna worked at H. C. Clements. (TV: The Runaway Bride)
- The timey-wimey detector is destroyed. (TV: Blink) The Doctor either repairs it or builds a new one. (TV: The Day of the Doctor)
- The Doctor considers singing a Venusian lullaby. (TV: The Curse of Peladon, The Monster of Peladon)
- The Doctor says he has never been friends with a fly, but he knew some butterflies once. (TV: The Web Planet) He would later befriend some flies in TV: Planet of the Dead.
- The Doctor says the Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans have never made him tea. In his next incarnation, he would be offered tea by a Dalek. (TV: Victory of the Daleks)
- Donna remembers the way the Ood had been treated on the Ood-Sphere. (TV: Planet of the Ood)
- The Doctor mentions being the only survivor of the Last Great Time War. (TV: The End of the World et al.)
- The Draconians are mentioned. (TV: Frontier in Space)
- The Thirteenth Doctor would later revisit the Partition of India, this time in the Punjab. (TV: Demons of the Punjab)
- Official Ghosts of India page at Penguin Books
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Ghosts of India at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Ghosts of India