When an old cinema re-opens, past horrors emerge to stalk the streets of Cardiff. As bodies are found with heartbeats but no breath, Torchwood must act fast. Who are the Night Travellers? How can Torchwood capture these mysterious breath takers?
to be added
- Captain Jack Harkness - John Barrowman
- Gwen Cooper - Eve Myles
- Toshiko Sato - Naoko Mori
- Ianto Jones - Gareth David-Lloyd
- Owen Harper - Burn Gorman
- Ghostmaker - Julian Bleach
- Pearl - Camilla Power
- Jonathan Penn - Craig Gallivan
- Greg - Gerard Carey
- David Penn - Stephen Marzella
- Faith Penn - Hazel Wyn Williams
- Nettie Williams - Lowri Sian Jones
- Christina - Eileen Essell
- Restaurant Owner - Anwen Carlisle
- Senior Nurse - Yasmin Wilde
- A&E Nurse - Caroline Sheen
- Mother - Lisa Winton
- Daughter - Gaia Davies
- Young Dad - Alastair Sill
- Young Mum - Catherine Olding
- Young boy - Tom Langford
- Bernard - Peter Blackwood (uncredited)
- Father - Steve Evans (uncredited)
Created by Russell T Davies
|Executive Producers Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner|
|General production staff|
Camera and lighting department
|Make-up and prosthetics
General post-production staff
Special and visual effects
|Not every person who worked on this adventure was credited. The absence of a credit for a position doesn't necessarily mean the job wasn't required. The information above is based solely on observations of the actual end credits of the episodes as broadcast, and does not relay information from IMDB or other sources.|
- Julian Bleach (the Ghostmaker) would later play Davros in DW: The Stolen Earth / Journey's End and the Nightmare Man in SJA: The Nightmare Man.
- Camilla Power (Pearl) would later play Councillor Kostal in BFA: The Foe from the Future.
- 951,000 viewers
- Gwen Cooper is now known as Gwen Williams. In fact, the closing credits of this and succeeding episodes establish that her name is not changed, and this has been confirmed by off-screen sources including Eve Myles. In addition, she is referred to on screen as Gwen Cooper in DW: Journey's End.
to be added
- The Ghostmaker realises Owen has no breath as he is dead. He was killed in Reset but was revived in Dead Man Walking
- Jack Harkness was working on behalf of an (as-yet) unidentified organisation in the 1920s when he was assigned to infiltrate a travelling circus in order to investigate the Night Travellers. Although he never encountered them, by coincidence film footage of him got mixed in with footage of the Night Travellers. As he did not become immortal until after he left the Time Agency, it is more likely he was working for Torchwood at the time. Also, in TW: Fragments an account of events from his mission searching for the Night Travellers can be read in the first of the handwritten reports prepared for his Torchwood file. Though if it was Torchwood, it seems odd that he did not properly answer Ianto's question.
- Although this is never addressed on screen, the closing credits for this episode established that Gwen continues to be known as Gwen Cooper, and not Gwen Williams.
- From Out of the Rain takes place after TWN: SkyPoint.
- From Out of the Rain takes place before TW: Adrift.
- From Out of the Rain, along with the rest of Torchwood Series 2, was released in a complete series box set in 2008.
- DW: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy- another storyline involving a sinister circus.
- BFBS: The Dead Men Diaries: The Light that Never Dies also has living beings trapped on celluloid.
- From Out of the Rain at Shannon Sullivan's A Brief History of Time (Travel)
- From Out of the Rain at The Locations Guide