Freakshow was an audio drama in Big Finish Productions' The Companion Chronicles series. It was initially a digital download exclusively offered to readers of Doctor Who Magazine Issue 419, but was later released as part of the The Companion Chronicles: The Specials box set. It starred Mark Strickson as Vislor Turlough.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
The TARDIS arrives in Arizona 1905, where travelling showman Thaddeus P. Winklemeyer is offering the residents of Buzzard Creek the elixir of life. Winklemeyer also owns a unique carnival, which is full of caged alien creatures. And in Turlough he has found a brand new exhibit...
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Cast[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- After the TARDIS materialises in Buzzard Creek, Arizona in 1905, the Doctor gives Turlough a stetson.
- Buzzard Creek has a general store, a meat market, a bank, a hotel, a milliners, a barber shop, a large white church, a saloon, a windmill and a blacksmith shop run by Jed Harper.
- Winklemeyer also has two Sythaks, which are giant snakes native to the swamps of Palliox, a planet near Trion. Winklemeyer claims that he caught them in the jungles of India.
- Winklemeyer tells the people of Buzzard Creek that he possesses the Elixir of Life.
- Winklemeyer is a Vermaal.
- Smart implants were outlawed eight centuries earlier by the Hexen-Brock Treaty. The Doctor saved Jallican Brock from assassination by a Tamaranian death squad at the signing of the treaty.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The DWM download was considered a promotion for the Big Finish line, so the file began with an introduction by Nicholas Briggs giving a brief history of the company's audio releases. It was made commercially available as part of The Companion Chronicles: The Specials box set in August 2009.
- This audio drama was recorded on 24 April 2009.
- This story is told from Turlough's perspective.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Turlough is working through the personal troubles raised by working for the Black Guardian. (TV: Enlightenment)
- Turlough comments that Tegan once referred to him as "unreliable" and stated that turning arguments around was something which he was very good at. (TV: Terminus)
- Turlough refers to Terminus (TV: Terminus) and the Eternal ships. (TV: Enlightenment)
- The First Doctor, Steven Taylor and Dodo Chaplet previously visited Tombstone in the Arizona Territory in October 1881, where they witnessed the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. (TV: The Gunfighters)
- The Doctor laments the destruction of his sonic screwdriver by the Terileptil leader in September 1666. (TV: The Visitation)
- The alien creatures in Thaddeus P. Winklemeyer's freakshow are forced to perform in the same manner as Captain Kybo in Jonathan Jaggers' circus in 1884 (AUDIO: Judoon in Chains) and the Eighth Doctor's Eutermesan companion C'rizz in Jacob Crackles' freakshow in 1851 (AUDIO: Other Lives).
Releases[edit | edit source]
- Freakshow was available to readers of Doctor Who Magazine who went to the Big Finish website and entered a code to be found within the magazine. The digital download offer was only available from 3 March to 26 May 2010.
- Big Finish subsequently reissued the story as part of The Companion Chronicles: The Specials, which was released in August 2011.
[edit | edit source]