Frayed was the eleventh Telos Doctor Who novella. It featured the First Doctor and Susan Foreman. This is one of the earliest-set stories set prior to An Unearthly Child. It is the second in Telos' novella range to be set prior to this story, the first being Time and Relative. The author's name, Tara Samms, is a pseudonym for author Stephen Cole, who has written several Doctor Who stories under the pseudonym, as well as his own name.
"I like to stare into the sun, eyes wide. It burns incredible colours into my head, great shifting continents of them that blot out all else. And I try to keep looking until I imagine all the pretty blue has boiled away from my eyes and they are left a bright, bloody red and quite sightless."
On a blasted world, the Doctor and Susan find themselves in the middle of a war they cannot understand. With Susan missing and the Doctor captured, who will save the people from the enemies from both outside and within?
to be added
- First Doctor
- Susan Foreman
- William Mosely
- Gus Webber
- Jill Helright
- The Doctor and Susan have left Gallifrey quite recently.
- The TARDIS chameleon circuit still works at this point. The TARDIS takes the shape of a boulder.
- The Doctor refers to the fault locator.
- The foreword was written by Stephen Laws.
- The cover art by Chris Moore was only used on the deluxe edition, which was signed by the author, artist, and foreword writer.
- Given that the TARDIS' chameleon circuit is operational, this is one of the few Doctor Who stories in any medium in which the TARDIS appears in a form other than that of a police box.
- In another account of the Doctor's first encounter with humanity, his TARDIS also assumed the form of a boulder on the Moon in the distant past. (AUDIO: The Beginning)
- Susan communicates telepathically with Jill. (TV: The Sensorites)