As with the television series, the William Hartnell version of the Doctor was the original comic strip Doctor.
The first Doctor Who comics to be printed were those featured in TV Comic. Consistently labeled as little more than the series' title for the entire run, all but one of the original First Doctor stories were given titles much later by comic strip and Who historians. The original comics introduced the characters of the Doctor's grandchildren, John and Gillian, who served as the strip's replacements to Susan Foreman. The strip introduced them as having lived on 20th century Earth before meeting their grandfather, but never expounded on their origins before the comic, nor their relation to Susan. Because of this, stories exploring the Doctor's family or history on Gallifrey have almost consistently "forgotten" about John and Gillian, and the lack of an acceptable "gap" for these stories to take place has often confounded fans interested in the timeline of the Doctor's life (an issue that would continue on through the Fourth and Fifth Doctor's comic adventures). Despite this, John and Gillian's adventures have not gone totally ignored by other stories, being briefly mentioned in such things as the BBC Audio story A Sting in the Tale and the Short Trips story The Man Who (Nearly) Killed Christmas.
The First Doctor also appeared in a series of Give-a-Show Projector stories in 1965, which featured the only comics to date of him battling the Daleks. He would later be featured in Doctor Who Magazine adventures both in their main series and in specials.
- 1 Comic strip companions of the First Doctor
- 2 List
- 2.1 TV Comic
- 2.2 TV Comic annuals
- 2.3 TV Comic holiday specials
- 2.4 Doctor Who annuals
- 2.5 Doctor Who Magazine
- 2.6 Doctor Who Yearbook
- 2.7 IDW Publishing
- 2.8 Titan Comics
- 3 Parody
- 4 External links
Comic strip companions of the First Doctor
- John and Gillian (TV Comic)
- Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright (Give-a-Show Projector, Doctor Who Yearbook, Prisoners of Time)
- Susan (Doctor Who Magazine)
- Ben Jackson and Polly Wright (Doctor Who Magazine)
- Vicki Pallister (Doctor Who Magazine, Prisoners of Time)
- Steven Taylor (Doctor Who Magazine)
- Dodo Chaplet (Doctor Who Magazine)
Many of the early comic strip stories did not have individual story titles so there is no "correct" title for many of the strips. Commentary and listings from older sources may use variant titles.
- The titles given below conform to widely accepted titles (as referenced by Jean-Marc Lofficier and revised by John Ainsworth (comic historian)). The titles below were also adopted and used by Doctor Who Magazine and throughout Doctor Who Classic Comics (to which John Ainsworth was a major contributer).
- The titles used below are firstly taken from the strip itself or from titles given by the preceding issue. In some cases the writer/artist has been able to provide a title for a given piece of work.
The listing below shows first publication details only. Reprint details can be found by following the story links.
- The Klepton Parasites (TVC 674-683)
- The Therovian Quest (TVC 684-689)
- The Hijackers of Thrax (TVC 690-692)
- On the Web Planet (TVC 693-698)
- The Gyros Injustice (TVC 699-704)
- Challenge of the Piper (TVC 705-709)
- Moon Landing (TVC 710-712)
- Time in Reverse (TVC 713-715)
- Lizardworld (TVC 716-719)
- The Ordeals of Demeter (TVC 720-723)
- Enter: The Go-Ray (TVC 724-727)
- Shark Bait (TVC 728-731)
- A Christmas Story (TVC 732-735)
- The Didus Expedition (TVC 736-739)
- Space Station Z-7 (TVC 740-743)
- Plague of the Black Scorpi (TVC 744-747)
- The Trodos Tyranny (TVC 748-752)
- The Secret of Gemino (TVC 753-757)
- The Haunted Planet (TVC 758-762)
- The Hunters of Zerox (TVC 763-767)
- The Underwater Robot (TVC 768-771)
- Return of the Trods (TVC 772-775)
- The Galaxy Games (TVC 776-779)
- The Experimenters (TVC 780-783)
TV Comic annuals
- Prisoners of the Kleptons (TV Comic Annual 1966 featuring John and Gillian)
- The Caterpillar Men (TV Comic Annual 1966 featuring John and Gillian)
- Deadly Vessel (TV Comic Annual 1967 featuring John and Gillian)
- Kingdom of the Animals (TV Comic Annual 1967 featuring John and Gillian)
TV Comic holiday specials
- Prisoners of Gritog (TV Comic Holiday Special 1965 featuring John and Gillian)
- Guests of King Neptune (TV Comic Holiday Special 1966 featuring John and Gillian)
- The Gaze of the Gorgon (TV Comic Holiday Special 1966 featuring John and Gillian)
Doctor Who annuals
- Mission for Duh (Doctor Who Annual 1967)
Doctor Who Magazine
|Flashback||Scott Gray||Seventh Doctor, Benny||DWMS Winter 1992|
|Are You Listening?||Vicki, Steven||DWMS Summer 1994|
- "Doctor Ooh"
- Comic Relief Comic (untitled story)
- It's Bigger on the Inside!
- Numerous editions of the three-panel cartoon, Doctor Who?
Doctor Who Yearbook
- A Religious Experience (Doctor Who Yearbook 1994 featuring Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright and the Seventh Doctor)
- The Forgotten (TF 1 featuring Susan, Ian, and Barbara, the first ten Doctors (save the War Doctor) and numerous companions
Doctor Who (2012)
- Dead Man's Hand (DW12 15 featuring Matrix projections of the first eleven Doctors and the War Doctor)
Prisoners of Time
- Unnatural History (POT 1 featuring Barbara Wright, Ian Chesterton, and Vicki Pallister)
- Endgame (POT 12 featuring Barbara Wright, Ian Chesterton, and Vicki Pallister, the first eleven Doctors (save the War Doctor), and numerous other companions)
Doctor Who: The First Doctor
- Day of the Tune (12D 9, a flashback featuring the first Four Doctors)
- Prologue: The First Doctor (10DY2 12 featuring Susan Foreman)
The Many Lives of Doctor Who