Fields of Terror was the first story in The First Doctor: Volume Two.
The TARDIS has brought the Doctor back to Revolutionary France, a place that's always fascinated him. But this time he, along with Steven and Vicki, are drawn into a devastated land, caught between the soldiers who are burning all before them and a monstrous shape that follows in their wake.
The Column from Hell (1)
to be added
The Darkened Road (2)
to be added
- During the French Revolution, the fighting was at its worst in the Vendée.
- The Doctor considers Paris to be "one of the most civilised of cities".
- The Doctor recalls the Massacre at Béziers during the 13th century.
- The Doctor quotes from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Dante's Inferno.
- The Hooded Man in this story is described as wearing the conical hood of a penitent monk, the Doctor says that hood would have a different meaning in the future. Likely referring to the white supremacist terrorist group "Ku Klux Klan."
- This story was told from Vicki's perspective.
- The Doctor tells Vicki that he had previously visited Paris during the French Revolution, towards the end of the Reign of Terror in July 1794. (TV: The Reign of Terror) Revolutionary France had earlier been the site of the Doctor and Susan Foreman's first visit to Earth. (PROSE: Just War)
- The timeline becomes distorted as Vicki inspects the shrine. (AUDIO: Across the Darkened City, The Bonfires of the Vanities) The Time Lords fix the distortion, caused by the Daleks from the Time War as they invade the First Doctor's timeline. (AUDIO: Volume Two trailer)
- The Doctor notes that he has met Maximilien Robespierre. (TV: The Reign of Terror)
- Vicki refers to her medical skills. (TV: The Web Planet)
- The Doctor and Steven would later return to France in August 1572, where they witnessed the St Bartholomew's Day massacre in Paris. (TV: The Massacre)
- Steven tells Lagrange that he has personal experience of warfare. (TV: The Chase; AUDIO: Return of the Rocket Men)
- Vicki compares the Infernal Column to the Daleks and the Mechanoids. (TV: The Chase)