- You may be looking for the titular festival.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
2000 BBC Books edition[edit | edit source]
The only problem is, he hasn't actually done it yet.
Aided and abetted by a drug-addled hippie lizard, a hard-hitting investigative reporter and a suicidal ship's computer, the Doctor has no choice but to travel back in time and discover exactly how he became a hero.
And then he finds out. He did it by sacrificing his life.
2013 BBC Books edition[edit | edit source]
The Beautiful Death is the ultimate theme-park ride: a sightseeing tour of the afterlife. But something has gone wrong, and when the Fourth Doctor arrives in the aftermath of the disaster, he is congratulated for saving the population from destruction – something he hasn't actually done yet. He has no choice but to travel back in time and discover how he became a hero. And then he finds out. He did it by sacrificing his life.
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Fourth Doctor
- Evadne Baxter
- Harken Batt
- Koel Paddox
References[edit | edit source]
Alcoholic beverages[edit | edit source]
- Hoopy and his friends drink Old Bizzarre.
Drugs[edit | edit source]
- Illegal narcotics used by Hoopy and his friends include Glycerat, Novovacuous, Phenyzide, Etheramyl, Opiasamin and Tutranol
The Doctor[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor has met General George Armstrong Custer.
- The Doctor failed his Time Travel Proficiency test at the Academy because he didn't turn up for it.
- The Doctor carries in his pocket a copy of Bor Pollag's Book of Alien Monsters, which includes illustrated entries on Akker-Takkers, Algolian Sithersbacks, Apostles of Grarb, and the Arachnopods.
History[edit | edit source]
Literature[edit | edit source]
- The co-pilot of the Montressor reads Shrieking Boy Veepjill - The Myth Behind the Truth - An Autobiography.
- Magazines available in the year 3012 include Guards and Guarding and Holding Captive.
Planets[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
- Alabast elephosaurs are highly immune to painkillers.
- Gonzies are a race of short, orange-skinned reptilian humanoids from the planet Gonzos.
Spaceships[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This novel was re-released on 7 March 2013 with a new cover to celebrate the Doctor Who 50th anniversary.
- Before the Doctor sacrifices himself he tells Romana to "Keep Australia Beautiful" this is a humours nod to the 1979 campaign Keep Australia Beautiful advertisement where Tom Bakers reprises his role for a series of adverts.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Romana states that if not for his sonic screwdriver, the Doctor would probably still be trapped in a cellar in Paris in 1979. (TV: City of Death)
- The TARDIS previously jumped a time track. (TV: The Space Museum)
[edit | edit source]
- Official Festival of Death page at Penguin Books
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Festival of Death at The Whoniverse