Faithful Friends: Part 1 was the first short story in the Short Trips anthology Short Trips: The Ghosts of Christmas. It was written by Cavan Scott and Mark Wright. It featured the Third Doctor and Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.
UNIT is closing up for Christmas. Alastair Lethbridge-Stewart is finishing up some paperwork when John Benton enters to update him on the personnel situation. The two discuss their plans for the holiday: Benton is visiting his mother, while the Brigadier says his plans are "the usual". With UNIT HQ emptied, the Brigadier hears singing. He traces it to the Doctor's laboratory. When he enters, he disrupts the Doctor's apparatus, to the Doctor's anger. However, when the Doctor learns that it's Christmas Eve, his anger evaporates. When he learns the Brigadier has no plans, he suggests they celebrate together at the Doctor's house. After a large dinner, they enjoy drinks and reminiscences. They receive an emergency call about meteorites that have fallen. As they leave, the Brigadier offers to host next year's Christmas.
- Every year Corporal Bell gives the Brigadier a bottle of malt.
- The Doctor is trying to gauge the lifespan of plankton on Nigellus II.
- The Brigadier's yearly Christmas tradition involves port and a good book.
- The Doctor drives them to his place in Bessie.
- The Doctor and the Brigadier have roast goose for dinner. They drink a 1945 Chateau Mouton Rothschild.
- They wonder how Jo Grant is doing.
- The Brigadier mentions the Yeti, Daleks, Axons and the Master; the Doctor mentions the terrible Zodin.
- The meteorites fell near Bath.
to be added