Publisher's summary Edit
Susan wakes up to find her grandfather in a sleep deprived bad mood. As the TARDIS begins to malfuction, the Doctor regrettably lands on Earth to repair it. As he fixes it, Susan explores the area - again - much to the Doctor's annoyance.
After waiting a while, he starts to grow worried, and leaves the TARDIS to find her, evidently not content with the situation. He comes across two hippies, of whose dress sense he doesn't approve, despite their warm, open attitude towards him.
The Doctor searches a dark alley, now even more worried for Susan's safety. In the alley, he finds a cat, mistaking it for an alien creature. He decides not to worry too much, anymore, but it is still unsure about his new surroundings. His anxiety is proven valid, when he comes across the Cybermen.
After narrowly avoiding their laser blasts, he finds Susan listening to pop music, another facet of human culture of which he disapproves. Though he uses this to his advantage, by amplifying the volume, for the Cybermen to hear. The Cybermen become confused by this noise, and start to inexplicably dance. Unsure of what to make of this, they retreat to their spaceship.
The Doctor and Susan are both relieved by this, but Susan is surprised to see the Doctor smiling. Upon realising this, the Doctor grumpily says that Time Lords don't smile, and frowns again.
- The Doctor eats cornflakes.
- Susan listens to pop music.
- The Changing of the Guard is an event that happens in London.
- The Doctor meets a group of strangely dressed people who used the word "Groovy", a word the Doctor doesn’t like.
- A bird doesn't like Susan's music.
- A dog sits next to the Doctor.
- The Doctor images a guard.
to be added
- The Doctor dislikes being called "Doc". (TV: The Time Meddler, The Five Doctors)
- This is the Doctor's first chronological appearance with the Cybermen (TV: The Tenth Planet)