- You may be looking for the audio story of the same name.
Publisher's summary Edit
When the Doctor loses both Sam and the TARDIS after an encounter with a mysterious dimensional anomaly, he finds himself affected in a very fundamental way, doubting his own powers and making crucial errors of judgment.
Stranded amongst the forests and lakes of southern Sweden in the summer of 1999, it quickly becomes clear to the Doctor and Fitz that something unusual — and dangerous — is afoot. Fitz finds himself acting the hero as the search for Sam gets them involved with investigations into strange disappearances — and manifestations of even stranger creatures.
Events quickly spiral out of control as the Doctor and Fitz become entangled with a secret deep beneath the forest, a secret which could save Sam and an entire doomed alien race — but destroy the Earth in the process.
to be added
- Eighth Doctor
- Sam Jones
- Fitz Kreiner
- Professor Jennifer Nagle
- Boris Lindgard
- Kerstin Bergman
- Kerstin Bergman's father
- Kerstin Bergman's mother
- Major Gareth Wolstencroft
- Inspector Bengt Nordenstam
- Private Schofield
- Private Alomar
- Private Jeff Moore
- Karl Hansson
- Björn Andersson
- Nina Andersson
- Johan Svensson
- Mrs Svensson
- Per Ollson
- Svetlana Persson
- Lars Petersen
- Peter Jonsson
- Bo Vikarn
- Olla Wenberg
- Dr Boris Lindgard
- Captain Daniel Rogers
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor uses his UNIT pass with an image of his third incarnation on it.
- The Doctor says, "I've studied under Hippocrates himself".
- Sam recalls Janus Prime and the weird radiation that had nearly killed her.
- Boris Lindgard knows about the Doctor's incarnations and knows that this is the eighth incarnation. He has met the Doctor's seventh incarnation.
- The Doctor is unsure whether Winifred Bambera is still in charge of UNIT in 1999.
- The area called the "Dominion" is a pocket universe which is being eaten up by the "Blight" (actually "our" universe breaking through into it).
- C19 is the part of the British government that funded UNIT UK. It also takes alien technology and analyses and adapts it to benefit humanity.
- The Doctor reels off what could have affected the TARDIS as being "..anything — vortex infarction, time scoop..."
- The TARDIS's original shape is a light grey cube three metres along each side.
Theories and concepts Edit
- In order for our universe to continue expanding, it takes its energy from pocket universes, drawing it through black holes or Charged Vacuum Emboitments.
- The Ruin and the Bane are both unintelligent species.
- Major Gareth Wolstencroft was present during the first Auton invasion.
- The Doctor claims that not even the Guardians of Time can stop the universe from expanding.
- The Doctor mentions the Ogri.
to be added
- Fitz is still thinking about the his two years spent away from the TARDIS when he was brainwashed by the Chinese. (PROSE: Revolution Man)
- Sam recalls events of PROSE: The Janus Conjunction.
- C19 were first mentioned in TV: Time-Flight.
- The "first Auton Invasion" was TV: Spearhead from Space.
- A rip in space-time once dragged Bernice Summerfield out of the TARDIS much in the same way Sam is in this novel. (PROSE: Blood Heat)
- The Doctor detects a temporal anomaly in San Francisco which leads them straight into PROSE: Unnatural History.
- Lindgard recalls the Mars landings in 1997. (PROSE: The Dying Days)