Dominion was the first story in Big Finish Productions' Doctor Who Special Releases range in 2012. This was also a continuation of Big Finish's UNIT audio series (as indicated by the numbering on the spine of the CDs as 2.1 etc); the last story of that series The Wasting had been released in 2005. According to Nicholas Briggs on the behind the scenes CD this story was much about doing another UNIT series featuring the Doctor, unlike the previous series which barely mentioned him. This story saw the return of Tracey Childs as Dr Elizabeth Klein who had last appeared in The Architects of History in 2010 and Beth Chalmers as Raine Creevy who last appeared in Earth Aid.
This story is the debut story for another incarnation of the Master, played by Alex Macqueen whose character is initially portrayed (and credited) as "the Other Doctor" and for the first 3 parts of the story he is the Doctor of the story filling the role that the Doctor would normally fill in a story of this style. The Master has Goth's TARDIS, suggesting this story is set after The Deadly Assassin; however there is no further information that allows for precise placement of when in the Master's timeline this incarnation of the Master is. On the behind the scenes CD Nicholas Briggs indicates this may be answered in future stories.
At four parts of 60 minute single parts this is the longest story to feature the Seventh Doctor with a running time of 4 hours, double the length of most of his Doctor's stories.
At the heart of it all is a terrible secret, almost as old as the Time Lords themselves. Reality is beginning to unravel and two Doctors, Klein, Raine and all of UNIT must use all their strength and guile to prevent the whole of creation being torn apart.
to be added
to be added
to be added
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Raine Creevy - Beth Chalmers
- Dr Elizabeth Klein - Tracey Childs
- The Other Doctor - Alex Macqueen
- Colonel Lafayette - Julian Dutton
- Sergeant Pete Wilson - Bradley Gardner
- Sylvie / Liz Morrison - Miranda Keeling
- Private Phillips / John Starr - Ben Porter
- Major Wyland-Jones - Sam Clemens
- Private Maynard / Arunzell - Alex Mallinson
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Time Lord - Nicholas Briggs (uncredited)
- Time Lord - Trevor Littledale (uncredited)
- Klein met Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart briefly before his retirement. Major Wyland-Jones describes him as "a great man" and tells Klein that UNIT files indicate that he worked with three different incarnations, namely the second, third and fourth incarnations.
- The Other Doctor refers to Raine and Sgt. Wilson as his "faithful acolytes." He refers to Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart as "A splendid fellow" (TV: The Five Doctors).
- The Doctor hands Klein a space-time telegraph before he leaves.
- The Master uses his Tissue Compression Eliminator to kill a Time Lord on Tersurus.
- The Doctor says that he and the Master shared the same upbringing.
- Nicholas Briggs indicated this story is set near the end of the Doctor's seventh incarnation.[source needed] Raine Creevy is travelling with him (possibly a later trip) while Ace is on Gallifrey. The Master is in an unidentified incarnation. (Behind the Scenes content on disc 5)
- This audio drama was recorded on 12, 13, 15 and 16 December 2011 at The Moat Studios.
This story was released across 4 CDs each with its own cover. Each cover featured one of the four main characters of this story; the Seventh Doctor, Elizabeth Klein, Raine Creevy and the Master.
- The Other Doctor mentions General Adrienne Kramer being among the leaders of UNIT. (PROSE: Vampire Science)
- The Doctor states that in his old age he may forget the rules of time, or worse, think himself above them. (TV: The Waters of Mars)
- The Other Doctor reminisces about the Axons, the Autons and the Sea Devils. (TV: The Claws of Axos, Terror of the Autons, The Sea Devils)
- The Doctor tells Raine of his past with Klein, the fact that she was a Nazi in an alternative timeline and his ultimate re-writing of her history. (AUDIO: Colditz, The Architects of History)
- Klein mentions the "Omega business" while Major Wyland-Jones refers to a meeting with more than one Doctor at the same time. (TV: The Three Doctors)
- The Master still has Lord Chancellor Goth's TARDIS, which he stole after his death on Gallifrey. (TV: The Deadly Assassin)
- The Master refers to the fact that the Doctor's TARDIS is the last remaining Type 40 TARDIS still in operation. (TV: The Deadly Assassin)
- The Master tells the Doctor that he likes the sound of the phrase "Master Race." (TV: The End of Time)
- The Master mentions the Key to Time. (TV: The Ribos Operation)
- Ace has been sent to the Time Lord Academy. (AUDIO: The Lights of Skaro)
- Official UNIT: Dominion page at bigfinish.com
- *DisContinuity for UNIT: Dominion at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide