Publisher's summary Edit
1977 edition Edit
Stepping out of the TARDIS into Victorian London, Leela and the Fourth Doctor are confronted by menacing, diabolical horrors shrouded within the swirling London fog – a man's death cry, an attack by Chinese Tong hatchet men, giant rats roaming the sewers, young women mysteriously disappearing...
The hideously deformed Magnus Greel, conducting a desperate search for the lost Time Cabinet, is the instigator of all this evil. Posing as the Chinese god, Weng-Chiang, Greel uses the crafty Li H'sen Chang, and the midget Manikin, Mr Sin, to achieve his terrifying objectives. The Doctor must use all his skill, energy and intelligence to escape the talons of Weng-Chiang.
Chapter titles Edit
- Terror in the Fog
- The Horror in the River
- Death of a Prisoner
- The Monster in the Tunnel
- The Quest of Greel
- The Tong Attacks
- The Lair of Weng-Chiang
- The Sacrifice
- In the Jaws of the Rat
- A Plan to Kill the Doctor
- Death on Stage
- The Hunt for Greel
- The House of the Dragon
- The Prisoners of Greel
- The Firebomb
Deviations from televised story Edit
- In the televised version of the story, the Doctor explains that a malfunction with the Peking Homonculus, which was only supposed to be a toy, "nearly" caused World War VI. The novelisation claims that World War VI did happen, and that Magnus Greel created the Homonculus himself with the intention of triggering a World War.
- Teresa is given a back story as a waitress.
- The Doctor wears his scarf, whilst in the televised story he wears a Sherlock Holmes-esque outfit without the scarf.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- This was the first cover illustrated by Jeff Cummins, who replaced Chris Archilleos. Jeff was also asked to supply covers for Doctor Who and the Mutants and Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen, but his submission for Doctor Who and the Mutants fell through at short notice.
- This was the last title to be reprinted by Target Books in March 1994 and the last book to carry the Target Books logo on the cover.
Additional cover images Edit
to be added
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
Editions published outside Britain Edit
to be added
The audio set of four CDs was released in January 2013 priced £13.99 (UK)