Doctor Who and the Pyramids of Mars was a novelisation based on the 1975 television serial Pyramids of Mars.
1976 Target Books edition
For many thousands of years SUTEKH had waited ... trapped in the heart of an Egyptian Pyramid. Now at last the time had come – the moment of release, when all the force of his pent-up evil and malice would be unleashed upon the world ...
The TARDIS lands on the site of UNIT headquarters in the year 1911, and the Fourth Doctor and Sarah emerge to fight a terrifying and deadly battle ... against Egyptian Mummies, half-possessed humans – and the overwhelming evil power of SUTEKH!
1982 Target Books edition
The mind of Sutekh the Destroyer is consumed with jealousy and hatred. Convinced that all living things are his mortal enemy, he is determined to annihilate all forms of life throughout the universe.
Imprisoned at the heart of an Egypt pyramid, the force of his maniacal evil has been paralysed for centuries. But now, after thousands upon thousands of years of long captivity, the moment of deliverance has arrived.
Sutekh's vicious megalomania is about to be unleashed upon the world - unless the Fourth Doctor succeeds in outwitting a mind so powerful it can force him to his knees and torture him at a glance ...
1993 Target Books edition
'EGYPTIAN MUMMIES BUILDING A ROCKET? THAT'S REALLY CRAZY, DOCTOR!'
Returning to UNIT HQ, the Doctor and Sarah are thrown into turmoil when the TARDIS is caught up by a mysterious force. Sutekh, the last of the Osirans has been released from his pyramid prison by Egyptologist Marcus Scarman, and now plans to avenge his imprisonment by destroying all life in the Cosmos.
Professor Scarman, possessed by the spirit of Sutekh, builds a rocket and flies to Mars, for it is here that the mystical eye of Horus lies - the key to Sutekh's prison. Can the Doctor stop the evil Egyptian's path of destruction?
- The Terror is Unleashed
- The Mummy Awakes
- The Servants of Sutekh
- The Return of Marcus Scarman
- The World Destroyed ...
- The Mummies Attack
- The Doctor Fights Back
- 'I am Sutekh!'
- In the Power of Sutekh
- A Journey to Mars
- The Guardians of Horus
- The Weapon of the Time Lords
Deviations from televised story
- The novelisation features a prologue and Sutekh's imprisonment.
- An epilogue features Sarah on Earth researching the events of the story in a newspaper cutting, set after her departure in TV: The Hand of Fear.
- The Osirans are called Osirians.
- There is considerable extra back story to Namin, who is said to be a leader of a cult set up by the Osirians to guard Sutekh's pyramid. On finding it opened, they killed Ahmed and the other labourers but were then informed by Sutekh that the pyramid being opened was the gods' will and given instructions.
- Collins is given the first name Josiah.
- Several lines of dialogue are given minor changes. Sarah states she comes from "the future" rather than specifying 1980 and the Doctor's reference to being blamed for the Great Fire of London is omitted.
- Clements going to the lodge is explained as him looking for Laurence for help.
- A mistake in the televised version where the Doctor states four men have died, five including Marcus Scarman, is changed to the correct five, six including Scarman.
- Sarah and Laurence hide the Doctor in the priest hole overnight after he is knocked out, with Scarman's confrontation with Warlock taking place the following morning.
- The Doctor and Sarah do not manage to activate the Marconiscope before the Mummies destroy it. The Doctor places more emphasis on using it to stop Sutekh controlling the Mummies, only mentioning that Scarman will collapse as well when Sarah asks him.
Writing and publishing notes
- The inside page includes the comment: "THE CHANGING FACE OF DOCTOR WHO. The cover illustration of this book portrays the fourth DOCTOR WHO."
- This novelisation was later released as part of The Earth Adventures Collection.
Additional cover images
British publication history
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
The audiobook was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 Extra between 26th-30th December 2011 and 2nd January 2012.