Doctor Who and the Androids of Tara was a novelisation based on the 1978 television serial The Androids of Tara.
Publisher's summary Edit
1980 Target Books edition Edit
- Note: the "Coming soon" line is not on all printings.
2012 AudioGo edition Edit
In search of a segment of the Key to Time, the Doctor, Romana and K9 arrive on the planet Tara, whose population has long mastered the art of android engineering. Romana is apprehended by the ambitious Count Grendel, who seeks to overthrow the king in waiting, and the Doctor is coerced into helping those loyal to the crown. With Reynart locked away in Grendel's dungeons, the Doctor must perfect and android that can be crowned in his place. Yet Reynart is not the only one of Grendel's prisoners to have a double: the captive Princess Strella is Romana's doppelganger. A deadly game of cat and mouse ensues as Grendel seeks to destroy the Doctor in his race to the Taran throne.
Chapter titles Edit
- The Doctor Goes Fishing
- Count Grendel
- The Double
- The Princess
- The Prisoner of Gracht
- The Android King
- Invitation to an Ambush
- The Android Killer
- Flag of Truce
- Count Grendel plans a Wedding
- Attack by Night
Deviations from televised story Edit
- The Doctor admires Grendel, rather than the other characters.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- First cover appearances of K9 and Romana I; for Romana this would only happen once more, with her appearing on the cover of Doctor Who and the Armageddon Factor. K9 subsequently appears on the novelisations of The Five Doctors and A Girl's Best Friend.
- A new novelisation of the story by David Fisher was released as an audiobook in 2012.
Additional cover images Edit
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK