Devil in the Smoke: An Adventure for the Great Detective is a novella prequel to The Snowmen, and was the first of three novellas published to tie-in with episodes from Series 7. Initially published as an e-book, it was later included in the omnibus Summer Falls and Other Stories.
Publisher's summary Edit
Madame Vastra, the fabled Lizard Woman of Paternoster Row, knew death in many shapes and forms. But perhaps one of the most bizarre of these was death by snow...
On a cold day in December, two young boys, tired of sweeping snow from the workhouse yard, decide to build a snowman – and are confronted with a strange and grisly mystery. In horrified fascination, they watch as their snowman begins to bleed...
The search for answers to this impossible event will plunge Harry into the most hazardous – and exhilarating – adventure of his life. He will encounter a hideous troll. He will dine with a mysterious parlour maid. And he will help the Great Detective, Madame Vastra, save the world from the terrifying Devil in the Smoke.
to be added
- Harry says the fictional character Sherlock Holmes is the Great Detective.
- Strax mentions recharging a probic vent.
- Vastra mentions to Strax that she thought the Rutan Host was "The Ancient Enemy."
- Strax invokes the Shadow Proclamation's protocols on hostage exchange.
- Strax mentions the Sontaran Greater Military Academy.
- Jenny, Strax and Vastra visit the Crystal Palace.
- This is the first novel that Vastra, Jenny, and/or Strax have appeared in.
- An audiobook of the story was read by Dan Starkey.
- Vastra and Jenny display their sword fighting capabilities. (TV: A Good Man Goes to War)
- Strax mentions the Moonites. (TV: The Great Detective)
- Strax repeats the "Sontar-Ha!" battle cry on multiple occasions. (TV: The Sontaran Stratagem / The Poison Sky)
- Strax confuses Harry's gender. He had previously done this with Lorna Bucket (TV: A Good Man Goes to War). He would also do this with two incarnations of Clara. (TV: The Snowmen, Deep Breath)