Devil in the Mist was the two hundred and forty-seventh story in Big Finish's Main Range. It was written by Cavan Scott and featured Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor, Janet Fielding as Tegan Jovanka, Mark Strickson as Vislor Turlough and Jon Culshaw as Kamelion.
The TARDIS deposits the Doctor, Tegan, Turlough and their android ally Kamelion aboard a prison ship. A ship with just one prisoner: Nustanu, last warlord of the Zamglitti – monstrous, mind-bending mimics able to turn themselves into mist.
A ship that's in trouble, and about to make a crash-landing...
On a planet of mists.
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Tegan Jovanka - Janet Fielding
- Vislor Turlough - Mark Strickson
- Kamelion - Jon Culshaw
- Orna - Anjella Mackintosh
- Rako - John Voce
- Nustanu - Simon Slater
- The Zamglitti Empire dominated billions and ruled for 300 years.
- Kamelion can only access the TARDIS information files and no other part of the ship. He gets damaged falling in a river.
- Tegan cannot find her purse which she usually keeps on her dresser in her TARDIS bedroom. It is later found in her coat pocket. The purse was given to her by Aunt Vanessa.
- The Harrigain are a proud warrior race noted for their battle hammers, of which the Master has three.
- Orna mentions a peach between Humans and Harrigain, and considers attacking an enemy with their own weapon to be dishonourable.
- The Doctor recalls climbing Mount Cadon in his youth, which was also known as Mount Plutarch, Mount Lung and Mount Rycadia. At the foot of the mountain was the Time Lord Academy.
- At the summit of Mount Cadon, one could see the whole of time, but a hallucinogenic compound in the snow often prevents climbers from reaching it. The summit can be reached by TARDIS but the Doctor points out this is "cheating."
- As a youth the Doctor and a group of his friends tried to climb the mountain. Vansell broke his leg during the journey.
- The Rastana were attacked by the Zamglitti because of their spring, which contains nanites capable of healing wounds. The Guardian of the Spring, a sophisticated artificial intelligence, uses these nanites to control dog, bat, and eel/snake creatures to attack intruders.
- This is the second audio story to feature Kamelion after Winter in 2007. It is also the debut of Jon Culshaw as his voice.
- This story was recorded on 8th and 11th June 2018 at the Moat Studios.
- This story was originally released on CD and download.
- The Doctor says he is tempted to give the TARDIS console a complete overhaul (TV: The Five Doctors).
- The Doctor tells Turlough that Mount Cadon is also known as Mount Lung (PROSE: Lungbarrow) and Mount Plutarch. (PROSE: The Three Paths)
- Kamelion mentions his previous affiliation with the Master. (TV: The King's Demons)
- Tegan refers to Turlough once working for the enemy. (TV: Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment)
- The Doctor mentions the Master's frustration at all his defeats. (TV: Terror of the Autons' et all)
- Tegan claims she is not afraid of snakes, but doesn't like them. (TV: Kinda, Snakedance, AUDIO: The Cradle of the Snake)
- Turlough mentions that his best friend was a hippo. (TV: Mawdryn Undead)