Detained was the sixth episode of Class. It was written by Patrick Ness, directed by Wayne Che Yip and featured Greg Austin as Charlie Smith, Fady Elsayed as Ram Singh, Sophie Hopkins as April MacLean, Vivian Oparah as Tanya Adeola, Jordan Renzo as Matteusz Andrzejewski and a cameo appearance from Katherine Kelly as Miss Quill.
This episode was notable for being "Quill-lite", minimally including the character of Miss Quill and focusing more on the students themselves and their relationships.
They now have to confess their deepest and darkest secrets to each other without losing their minds. Can they stick together to fight the Prisoner or will their confessions split them apart?
Miss Quill places Charlie, Ram, April, Tanya and Matteusz in detention for seemingly no reason, claiming that she has things to do and does not want to be bothered. After she leaves them, April attempts to unlock the door. As she gets the door open, an asteroid flies through the tear in the hallway, and lands in the classroom. Following this, the windows and door turn black and it appears that they are trapped in the classroom.
At first believing Quill is responsible, Charlie realises that she can't do so without the arn killing her. They begin to notice that they are all noticeably more aggressive than usual, except for Charlie who begins to exhibit extreme claustrophobia and paranoia. They eventually notice the meteor in the corner of the room, with a glowing orange substance attached to it. Matteusz picks it up and seemingly enters a trance state, recalling the day he told his grandmother he was gay. He reveals that he's afraid of Charlie, and April knocks the rock out of his hand. They hypothesise that it is a form of confession.
As time passes, they become more aggressive and Charlie begins panicking about the situation. They slowly begin to turn on one another, viewing the worst of everyone. Tanya suggests that as the meteor forces people to tell the truth, they could potentially ask it questions about where they are. Tanya decides to pick it up, and she reveals that she worries about the others treating her as a little sister, or someone they have to tolerate. She also reveals that the meteor is dangerous and can fry a person's brain if they hold it for too long, and it is housing a prisoner. She drops the meteor, and the group begin to fear that they are in a prison with a murderer.
Tensions rise between Charlie and Matteusz due to Matteusz's confession. To calm Charlie down, Matteusz tells him about a book about a place called Narnia, and how Susan judged her friend based on one bad thing she said. Matteusz asks Charlie if he never complains about him or their friends, even in the privacy of his own head. Charlie says that he doesn't and he leaves.
Tanya suggests that someone else needs to pick up the rock to find out more about where they are. Ram does so and reveals that he loves April more than she could ever love him. April struggles to deny this and only fuels Ram's feeling. Ram passes out before he can provide any more information; however, upon waking he reveals that the prisoner is a murderer and wants to kill them.
April then picks up the rock and confesses that Ram's concerns are true — she does not love him as much as he loves her. However, she also manages to make the prisoner reveal that that they are "here and nowhere" (that is, they are outside of time and space). They realise that they will be trapped in the classroom eternally as they will never age and never die, unless they kill each other.
As everyone becomes more and more aggravated, Charlie decides to picks up the rock as he believes that it does not have the same effect on him as the others (as he has not been feeling angry). When he does so, he realises that he is more guilty that the prisoner (as Rhodians believe that his desire to kill the Shadow Kin is equal to actually doing it) and therefore his reaction to the prison is due to his feeling that it is for him. His guilt kills the prisoner, and the classroom returns to Coal Hill.
However, Charlie realises that he has made a mistake, as the prison still needs to house a prisoner and he is the guiltiest of the group. As the rock attempts to detain him, Miss Quill enters and fires her gun at the rock, destroying it. Most of the group leave the classroom in frustration; however, Charlie and Matteusz stay behind and question Quill as to how she is able to use a gun. They notice she has a long scar over her eye and her hair is noticeably longer than before. She reveals that she has had a stressful day and that she has removed the arn from her brain, ensuring her freedom.
- Miss Quill - Katherine Kelly
- Charlie - Greg Austin
- Ram - Fady Elsayed
- April - Sophie Hopkins
- Tanya - Vivian Oparah
- Matteusz - Jordan Renzo
- Voice of the Prisoner - Ferdy Roberts
|Executive Producers Brian Minchin, Steven Moffat and Patrick Ness|
|Not every person who worked on this adventure was credited. The absence of a credit for a position doesn't necessarily mean the job wasn't required. The information above is based solely on observations of the actual end credits of the episodes as broadcast, and does not relay information from IMDB or other sources.|
- Matteusz asks whether the explosion was an earthquake. Ram ridicules the question by asking, "in London?"
- Ram uses the phrase "Happy clappy" as slang.
- Matteusz uses the phrase "Two birds, one stone".
- Ram picks up a toy flower ball.
- For Rhodians, wishing for something was considered the same as an action and was equatable in guiltiness.
Coal Hill School Edit
- Charlie is claustrophobic.
- Charlie has a panic attack.
- Matteusz visited his grandmother in 2015 for her birthday with his father.
- When April picks up the rock she remembers being in court to testify against her dad.
- When Ram picks up the rock he remembers telling his father the truth in his back garden.
- Charlie says the closest person to him back on Rhodia was the man who wrote his speeches.
- Charlie confesses that he really wants to use the Cabinet of Souls to wipe out the Shadow Kin from the face of existence.
- Charlie wears a Farah shirt.
- Tanya refers to a movie the gang watched in astrophysics.
- The gang thinks the asteroid is sending out radiation.
- Ram thinks the stone is alien. Matteusz thinks it uses some kind of energy. Charlie thinks it may be telepathic.
- When Matteusz gets visions after picking up the rock, he says he's "back in Poland".
- Charlie thinks Narnia is in Canada.
Story notes Edit
- "Invaders Must Die" by The Prodigy plays extra-diegetically over Miss Quill revealing she's had her arn removed, in the final moments of the episode.
to be added
Filming locations Edit
to be added
Production errors Edit
to be added
- Miss Quill refers to Charlie enslaving her. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- Miss Quill and Charlie refer to the Twelfth Doctor, who rescued them from Rhodia and brought them to Coal Hill Academy. Charlie refers to the Doctor's impassioned stance against genocide. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- The boards with all the notes and posters are seen again. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo)
- The Shadow Kin are mentioned a few times. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart/Brave-ish Heart)
- When Ram is certain Quill tried to kill them, Charlie dismisses it, telling them she can't as she herself would die. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die) She previously slapped him, causing herself great pain. (TV: Brave-ish Heart)
- Matteusz mentions his father. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, Nightvisiting)
- April mentions her mother used to be in a wheelchair, for eight years. Ram replies that she's not anymore. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart / Brave-ish Heart)
- April asks Ram why he's being a dick. April previously said Ram was not the usual dickhead football player. (TV: Brave-ish Heart)
- Tanya mentions her mother. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, Nightvisiting)
- Ram remembers when he told his dad about his leg. (TV: The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo)
- April mentions her dad tried to kill her and how he drove off the road on purpose. She previously told Ram this. (TV: Nightvisiting)
- Tanya mentions April getting her mum up and walking. (TV: Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart / Brave-ish Heart)
- April mentions Matteusz's family kicking him out, (TV: Nightvisiting) and Ram losing his leg, Charlie feeling different, as well as herself sharing her heart. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- Charlie mentions how he and the others fought things and saved things together. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo, Nightvisiting, Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart / Brave-ish Heart)
- Whilst angry, Ram quips to Matteusz about Charlie, "How many knobs does he have?". Tanya had previously pondered this question. (TV: Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart)
- April says the Prisoner didn't expect Shadow Kin blood in April's veins. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- Tanya mentions Rhodia. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die) Charlie mentions how Tanya never stops reminding him he was a prince there. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo, Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart)
- Charlie wants to kill the Shadow Kin with the Cabinet of Souls. He previously said he could not do that. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart / Brave-ish Heart)
- Miss Quill is finally able to use her displacement gun. She previously continuously said she couldn't. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo, Nightvisiting)
- The arn has been removed from Miss Quill's head. She previously constantly complained about it. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart / Brave-ish Heart)
Home video releases Edit
DVD releases Edit
- Detained was featured in the series one DVD boxset, which was released in the UK (Region 2) on 16th January 2017, followed by a Region 1 release on 11th July. The Region 1 release contained an additional blooper reel and various deleted scenes that were not present on the Region 2 release.
Blu-ray releases Edit
to be added