Department X was the fifth release of the BBC Torchwood audio stories.
G.R. Owen is the last of Cardiff's old department stores. Times are hard and the ancient firm has gone into administration. But who are the Administrators? What goes on behind the shutters at night? And why are customers disappearing? Torchwood are already investigating.
G.R. Owen is the site of their oldest unsolved cases, and Jack is determined to solve it before the store closes forever — which is why Ianto is working undercover in gentlemen's fashions and Gwen is in handbags.
to be added
- Jack Harkness
- Gwen Cooper
- Ianto Jones
- Rhys Williams
- Mr Pryce
- Mr Absalom
- Mavis Williams
- Miss Valentine
- Jack references the title of the long-running Britcom Are You Being Served?
- Ianto mentions pop singer Lady Gaga's fashion sense.
- Woolworths and Borders are mentioned as companies that have closed.
- Pound Paradise is a shop in Cardiff.
- Gwen guiltily found the suffocation of a blowfish, trying to rehydrate in a toilet bowl, quite funny. She told Rhys that she'd seen so much death, she felt somewhat accustomed to it.
- Upon leaving the job, Mavis stole a stapler.
- Miss Valentine mimics the buzzer from Family Fortunes.
- Firestone Finance has been using banking and administration to mask their true intentions since the 1930s, acquiring alien technology for their own enrichment.
- Firestone uses a Dimension Gate to enter the Department of Curiosities. Jack mentions that if the walls between the two dimensions weren't already so thin, it would normally have taken them hours.
- Miss Valentine is a telepath.
- This is the first Torchwood audio story to be released after Children of Earth, and the death of Ianto Jones and the breakup of Torchwood Three.
- Sinister goings on in a department store also occurred in TV: Rose and TV: Closing Time.
- Jack survives a barrage of bullets. (TV: Last of the Time Lords)
- Jack pretends to be dead on the floor and then opens an eye. (TV: Journey's End)
- Gareth was once, like Jack, a freelance investigator for Torchwood. (TV: Fragments)
- Gareth stole something from Torchwood before he left. Other members of Torchwood have also procured other objects. (TV: Everything Changes)