Publisher's summary Edit
"I do hope you're all ready to be terrified!"
The Phaeron disappeared from the universe over a million years ago. They travelled among the stars using roads made from time and space, but left only relics behind. But what actually happened to the Phaeron? Some believe they were they eradicated by a superior force... Others claim they destroyed themselves.
Or were they in fact the victims of an even more hideous fate?
In the far future, humans discover the location of the last Phaeron road – and the Doctor and Clara join the mission to see where the road leads. Each member of the research team knows exactly what they're looking for – but only the Doctor knows exactly what they'll find.
Because only the Doctor knows the true secret of the Phaeron: a monstrous secret so terrible and powerful that it must be buried in the deepest grave imaginable...
- Twelfth Doctor
- Clara Oswald
- Raymond Balfour
- Professor Tabitha Vent
- Captain Dan Laker
- Jem 428
- Dr. Tanya Flexx
- Luis Cranmer
- Mitch Keller
- Harley Hobson
- The Doctor's TARDIS is aged billions of years.
- The Phaeron exist simultaneously outside of time and space and at one with time and space.
- The planet is caught in shifting time fields and experiencing time fluxuations. The Phaeron locate the TARDIS in the local space-time continuum and retrieve it. The planet exists at the bottom of a "time well" leading into Deep Time.
- While the Phaeron did not have time travel, they could drill holes through the space-time continuum and created a network of wormholes.
- Tibby says there's a genuine Phaeron icon on Ursa Minor.
- The Doctor mentions the events of PROSE: Royal Blood to Clara.
- The Doctor mentions Clara's getting older and less attractive. (TV: The Caretaker)
- Clara is reminded of the time she encountered a mummy (TV: Mummy on the Orient Express) and visited the Moon. (TV: Kill the Moon)
- Astrogation clones were developed during the last Draconian War. (TV: Frontier in Space)
- Mechonoid constructions being forgotten are mentioned. (TV: The Chase)
- The Phaeron remember the coming of the Time Lords as the coming of the New Universe, similar to the Carnival Queen's story of when the Time Lords removed cacophony from the universe. (PROSE: Christmas on a Rational Planet)
- The humanoid Phaeron claim to be the first species in the universe, but seem distinct from the first humanoids. (PROSE: Falls the Shadow)
- The Glamour absorbs the heart's desire; Enlightenment was said to give someone their heart's desire. (TV: Enlightenment)
- Official Deep Time page at Penguin Books
- Official Deep Time audiobook page at Penguin Books
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Deep Time at The Whoniverse