Summary[edit | edit source]
The Doctor, Gemma and Samson, arrive at a country house to celebrate Edward Grainger's fiftieth birthday. The Doctor finds the Grainger family haunted by a ghost that expresses interest in Edward's young son John. The ghost reveals it is the spiritual embodiment of Edward's fiftieth year. At midnight, the ghost vanishes and the Doctor enjoys the rest of the party in peace.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Eighth Doctor
- Gemma Griffin
- Samson Griffin
- Edward Grainger
- John Grainger
- Ronald Tillyard
- Moira Tillyard
- Angus McCloud
- Eleanor Grainger
References[edit | edit source]
- Gemma recalls the Ice Caves of Shabadabadon.
- John pretends his imaginary friend is his teddy bear.
- John and the Doctor fly a kite.
- The Doctor and John play tag, cricket, leapfrog and I-spy.
- Edward chain smokes several cigarettes during the party.
- The Doctor looks at a record by George Formby.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The stories in Short Trips: The Centenarian revolve around Edward Grainger, a man who has met the Doctor more than a dozen times over the course of his life.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Gemma and Samson appear (having departed the TARDIS) in AUDIO: Terror Firma.
- Gemma recalls seeing sentient trees. (PROSE: The Long Midwinter)
- Edward remembers Helen Fitzmaurice and a graphaphone. (PROSE: Echoes)