Publisher's summary Edit
2011 BBC Books Edition Edit
"The Dead are not alone. There is something in the mist and it talks to them."
In Dr Bloom's clinic at a remote spot on the Italian coast, at the end of the 18th century, nothing is ever quite what it seems. Maria is a lonely little girl with no one to play with. She writes letters to her mother from the isolated resort where she is staying. She tells of the pale English aristocrats and the mysterious Russian nobles and their attentive servants.
She tells of intrigue and secrets, and she tells of strange faceless figures that rise from the sea. She writes about the enigmatic Mrs Pond who arrives with her husband and her physician, and who will change everything. What she doesn't tell her mother is the truth that everyone knows and no one says – that the only people who come here do so to die.
2015 BBC Books Edition Edit
In a remote clinic in 18th century Italy, a lonely girl writes to her mother. She tells of pale English aristocrats and mysterious Russian nobles. She tells of intrigues and secrets, and strange faceless figures that rise up from the sea. And she tells about the enigmatic Mrs Pond, who arrives with her husband and her trusted physician.
What the girl doesn't tell her mother is the truth that everyone at the clinic knows and no one says – that the only people who come here do so to die.
An adventure set in 18th century Italy, featuring the Eleventh Doctor as played by Matt Smith and his companions Amy and Rory.
to be added
- Eleventh Doctor
- Amy Pond
- Rory Williams
- Johann Bloom
- Henry Nevil
- Perdita Bloom
- Prince Boris
- Olivia Elquitine
- Helena Elquitine
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor comments that he hasn't had to learn English while talking about where the TARDIS was.
Foods and beverages Edit
- Rory drinks wine while dining with Dr Bloom.
- The Doctor eats several ginger biscuits, before spitting half of one out and declaring that he hates them.
- The TARDIS uses its Hostile Action Displacement System to move itself through space and time.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The novel was reprinted as part of The History Collection in February 2015, with a new cover and introduction by Goss.
Audio release Edit
- The story was released as an audiobook on 6x CD read by Clare Corbett.
- Amy brings up the Doctor's terrible dancing. (TV: The Big Bang)
- Amy recalls having travelled through universes with the Doctor. (TV: The Doctor's Wife, PROSE: The Coming of the Terraphiles)
Additional cover images Edit
- Official Dead of Winter page at Penguin Books
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Dead of Winter at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Dead of Winter