Doctor Who Magazine 553 was the issue of the magazine cover-dated August 2020.
It is notable for being the fourth issue of the magazine to not have a non-gag comic story. It succeeded DWM 163, 261, and 354.
- Joe Ahearne interviewed by Nick Setchfield
- Graeme Harper interviewed by Paul Kirkley
- Richard Clark interviewed by Emily Cook
- Saul Metzstein interviewed by Paul Kirkley
- Douglas Mackinnon interviewed by Emily Cook
- Rachel Talalay interviewed by Emily Cook
- Jamie Magnus Stone interviewed by Emily Cook
- Carole Ann Ford and Sophie Aldred interviewed by Graham Kibble-White
The Doctor Who Directing Masterclass.
- Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads?
Three Doctor Who fans (one of them being Peter Capaldi) meeting their Doctor Who idols back in the 1970s.
Doctor Who fan John Hudson's recordings of his chat with Jon Pertwee, Terry Walsh, Elisabeth Sladen and George Cormack during production of Season 11.
The making of the special edition version of The Power of the Daleks animated recreation DVD and Blu-release, which was due for release in July 2020.
Results of fans' favourite moments from the 2020 series of Doctor Who, as well as their favourite merchandise from 2019.
Lockdown Doctor Who viewing recommended by Jacqueline Rayner, based on the theme of A Holiday for the Doctor.
The Fact of Fiction
The Blogs of Doom
- Panini UK Ltd
- BBC Studios, UK Publishing
- Chair, Editorial Review Boards: Nicholas Brett
- Managing Director, Consumer Products and Licensing: Stephen Davies
- Head of Publishing: Mandy Thwaites
- Compliance Manager: Cameron K McEwan
- UK Publishing Co-ordinator: Eva Abramik
- This was the third issue to be worked on remotely, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This was the first issue since DWM 354 to lack a comic story. As announced in the previous issue, the comic strips took a 3-issue break as a result of the aforementioned pandemic.