Wiki Targeted (Entertainment)
Do you like this video?
The Doctor Who Magazine Winter Special of 1991 was centred on UNIT. Most of the features in the issue were written as if they were articles in the fictional magazine The Metropolitan, to which Sarah Jane Smith was a regular contributor.
- The UNIT Story Part One: Troughton & Pertwee Years
- The UNIT Story Part Two: Tom Baker Years onwards
- The UNIT Chronology
- Centre Stage with UNIT (a look at the UNIT stageplay) by Liam Michael-Rudden
- Full UNIT Cast and Credit Details by Andrew Pixley
- Listening Watch written by Dan Abnett and illustrated by Brian Williamson
- A Wee Deoch an ...? written by Colin Baker and illustrated by Paul Vyse
Interviews / Profiles
Giant A2 Colour Poster
- The cover artwork for this issue was given away as a free poster stapled in the middle. with the additional caption "We deal with the odd, the unexplained. Anything on Earth ... or even beyond ..." The Brigadier, Spearhead from Space
- A Foreword by Derrick Sherwin
- The Alien Exclusive Blueprints (A look at the Whomobile) by Lee Sullivan
- Afterword by Nicholas Courtney alias the Brigadier
- Editor: John Freeman and inspired by a fanderson Convention Booklet for UFOria 2
- Sub-Edited by: Sophie Heath and Harry Papadopoulos
- Monitored by: Louise Cassell
- Designed by: Peri Godbold
- Adviser: John Nathan-Turner
- Production Co-ordinated by: Mark Irvine
- Editorial Director: Paul Neary
- Managing Director: Vincent Conran
Contributors this issue
- Ben Aaronovitch
- Paul Travers
- Dan Abnett
- Brian Williamson
- Mary Forrester
- Andrew Pixley
- Jon Pertwee
- John Levene
- Katy Manning
- Richard Franklin
- Liam-Michael Rudden
- Lee Sullivan
- Colin Baker
- Paul Vyse
- Gary Russell
- David Howe
- Mark Duncan
- John Clarke
- Nicholas Courtney
- Coming at the same time as the BBC declared it was resting the television series following Survival, Derrick Sherwin in the introduction, openly declares his intention to submit the proposal for a new UNIT series firmly rooted in reality.
- Once again a bumper comic format, this special was staple bound with new cover artwork (and poster), priced £2.25 (UK).
- The ISSN number on this magazine is the same as that on the Summer 1991 Special.
- The indicia does not uniquely identify this issue; it is said to be merely Doctor Who Magazine.
- Buried in the indicia is the humorous line, “Listen, I don't care what you think about him,” said the Brigadier, “I'm not employing a man with a name like Ed Straker ...” This is a reference to the lead protagonist of the ITC science-fiction action/adventure series UFO (1970-73), which was set in an England of ten years' time — namely 1980.
- The UNIT stories are mentioned as being set five years ahead of their original transmission. For example, the events of the 1970 story Inferno are said to take place in 1975.