The cast and crew of Doctor Who tell the real story of its creation ...
For almost 30 years, Doctor Who Magazine has documented the making of this unique television series, interviewing every major player, be they actors, directors, producers, designers, writers ... even monsters!
This Special Edition gathers together the best of these interviews as the cast and crew themselves recall their part in the legend of Doctor Who, making for a frank, forthright, and insightful memoir — in turns funny, poignant, provocative, and surprising. To illustrate their story we have selected hundreds of amazing pictures — iconic images from the BBC archives, alongside less familiar shots from private collections.
This volume covers one of the most creative and innovative periods in the history of the series, beginning with the first appearance of the Seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy. It follows the events of the late 1980s, when the Doctor was redefined as being "more than just a Time Lord" and a Machiavellian figure who was prepared to use his companion, Ace as a pawn in his fight against evil. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, find out why the powers at the BBC decided to end the run of the UK's longest running science-fiction show — and how a new series of novels, a Children in Need Special, radio adventures and made-for-video productions filled the gap left behind by the TV series. And discover how the series made its comeback with Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor in the 1996 TV movie — as Doctor Who simply refused to die ...
Featuring contributions from Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, John Nathan-Turner, Bonnie Langford, Sophie Aldred, Philip Segal, Daphne Ashbrook, Andrew Cartmel and many more — plus an Afterword by Human Nature writer Paul Cornell!
- By Paul Cornell
- Compiled by Benjamin Cook
- Editor: Tom Spilsbury
- Assistant Editor: Peter Ware
- Designer: Peri Godbold
- Production: Mark Irvine
- Managing Editor: Alan O'Keefe
- Managing Director: Mike Riddell
- This was the twenty-first in a series of quarterly specials given over to a specific Who-related theme.
- This standard sized, bound magazine was printed in February 2009 and had a cover price of £5.99 (UK).
- Cover background design by Clayton Hickman.
- This issue had the indicia title of Doctor Who Special Edition #21 In Their Own Words: Volume Five: 1987-96.