The cast and crew of Doctor Who tell the real story of its creation ...
For more than twenty-five years, Doctor Who Magazine has documented the making of this unique television series, interviewing every major player, be they actors, directors, producers, designers, writers ... even monsters!
Now for the very first time, we gather together the best of these interviews, as the cast and crew themselves recall their part in the legend of Doctor Who, making for a frank, forthright, and insightful memoir – in turns funny, poignant, provocative, and surprising.
This first volume, covering Doctor Who's birth and the six successful monochrome years that followed, provides a complete primer for newcomers, and a valuable refresher for hardened aficionados. It plots a brilliant assortment of fantastical science-fiction stories and historical tales, unravels the creation of the Daleks and the genesis of the Cybermen, and unpicks the early years of UNIT. Find out how the TARDIS was designed and why the Time Lords were invented. Plus, almost four decades after the Doctor's appearance changed for the very first time, hear the story of how 'regeneration' came to be, and how the show survived the departure of its leading man.
Featuring contributions from William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Sydney Newman, Verity Lambert, Terry Nation, David Whitaker, William Russell, Jacqueline Hill, Maureen O'Brien, Anneke Wills, Frazer Hines, Nicholas Courtney, Wendy Padbury and hundreds more – plus an Afterword from Doctor Who's current Executive Producer Russell T Davies!
- Compiled by Benjamin Cook
- Editor: Clayton Hickman
- Deputy Editor: Tom Spilsbury
- Designer: Peri Godbold
- Consultant: Andrew Pixley
- Production: Mark Irvine
- Managing Editor: Alan O'Keefe
- Managing Director: Mike Riddell
- This was the twelfth in a series of quarterly specials given over to a specific Who-related theme.
- The 'In Their Own Words' series of Special Editions, besides being crammed with fully referenced quotes from the magazines' archives, provided fact boxes in a side bar that put the series history into a wider cultural context.
- This standard sized, bound magazine was printed in January 2006 and had a cover price of £5.99 (UK).
- Cover background design by Stuart Manning.
- This issue had the indicia title of Doctor Who Special Edition #7 In Their Own Words: Volume One: 1963-69.
- It was one of six volumes published over three years.