Your Complete guide to the smash hit BBC adventure series!
Doctor Who has been the TV hit of 2005, as millions of viewers have followed the adventures of Rose Tyler and her new best friend – a mysterious and magical traveller in time and space known as the Doctor.
Now travel behind the scenes and discover how this ambitious show was created, how the monsters were designed, and the real secrets of the Doctor's incredible TARDIS.
Discover the origins of the series as we present writer Russell T Davies' original story document, created for the BBC in 2003, and printed here for the very first time – with notes from Russell himself!
We take you step-by-step through the creation of some of the Doctor Who's most most iconic creatures, from the Emperor Dalek, to Cassandra and the Slitheen, lavishly illustrated with original artwork and photos! We explore the impressive modelwork that saw Big Ben demolished and 10 Downing Street blown up! We investigate the character of the Ninth Doctor, from the weary traveller of Rose to the compassionate hero of The Parting of the Ways
Plus a detailed, episode-by-episode guide to the making of Series One, packed with facts about the casting, the filming, and even the scenes we didn't get to see – not to mention hundreds of never-before-seen photographs!
This is the essential time travellers' guide to Doctor Who – don't leave Earth without it!
(Each episode is given a synopsis, production details, full cast and crew credits, fact file, Radio Times coverage, and script snippet
- Guess Who?
- Gareth Roberts investigates the life and times of the Ninth Doctor
- Pitch Perfect
- DWM exclusively presents Russell T Davies' original pitch document for Series One, reprinted in full, with new annotations from Russell
- Tucker's Luck
- We go behind the scenes with top modelmaker Mike Tucker, to find out how he destroyed Downing Street, and Big ben, and created a new race of Daleks
The Art of Doctor Who
- Editor: Clayton Hickman
- Deputy Editor: Tom Spilsbury
- Design: Peri Godbold
- Consultant: Russell T Davies
- Production: Mark Irvine
- Managing Editor: Alan O'Keefe
- Managing Director: Mike Riddell
- Written and Researched by Andrew Pixley (Uncredited)
- This was the eleventh in a series of quarterly specials given over to a specific Who-related theme.
- This standard sized, bound magazine was printed in August 2005 and had a cover price of £5.99 (UK).
- This issue had the indicia title of Doctor Who Special Edition #11 – The Doctor Who Companion: Series One.
- It was the first of it's kind published on the "new" series and the first to use the 2005-2010 logo.