'In the void between time the devils waited... patiently.. to be summoned again... to pass judgement on the Earth...'
KATE LETHBRIDGE-STEWART is summoned by an old friend, Douglas Cavendish, to help him with a problem he has with ghosts and voices in his head. But when Kate arrives, she finds more than she expected. Aided by a time-traveller from the future, Kate must outwit both the ancient race of Dæmons, and the Sodality, a human cult-like organisation from the future, which is intent on gaining control over time.
Dæmos Rising is based on, and expands upon, the Reeltime Pictures drama production Dæmos Rising originally released in 2004. it also spins off from the 1971 BBC Doctor Who adventure 'The Dæmons', and is a prequel to the Telos Publishing Time Hunter novella 'Child of Time'. All characters used with permission. This book has not been licensed or approved by the BBC or any of its affiliates.
- The End of Time
- The Book
- Memories of Times Past
- Reading the Book
- London 2586
- Tea with Olive
- The Attack
- The Cottage
- The Statue
- Lost in Time
- Tea with Douglas
- Night Terrors
- The Collection
- Meet the Ghost
- Charm Offensive
- The Caverns
- The Dæmon
- Discussions with the Devil
Deviations from the home video
- A scene opens with the aftermath of the battle in Devil's End in The Dæmons. This section mentions the story took place "around 1973": two years in the future, as opposed to the five years when the UNIT-related Doctor Who television stories were supposedly set. This was not derived from any information given in the DVD version.
- The Master's demonic tome is shown to have been in UNIT's Black Archive. In the original film, the description of a "warehouse" with "shop window dummies" meant the Warehouse from Auton.
- The novelisation ties into the contemporary The White Witch of Devil's End with chapters showing Olive Hawthorne involved with the plot. The Sodality's future is also shown, following on from the Time Hunter novels that were written after the film came out.
- The Ghost and his time-sensitive ally are given names, Andy and Laura.
- An entire section of the book takes place showing before the events of the film start, including Andy & Laura escaping an apocalyptic 2050 and arriving in 2003 Devil's End; Cavendish stealing the tome from the Black Archive; and a section in the 26th century under the Sodality, where an attack is launched on Andy and Laura.
- Where the film ends with Mastho departing and Kate wandering if they've won, the novel depicts Mastho appearing before the Sodality to chastise them before cutting back to the Ghost assuring Kate this will be resolved in the future.
Writing and publishing notes
- The inside page includes the comments: "THE CHANGING FACE OF KATE LETHBRIDGE-STEWART. The cover illustration portrays the first KATE LETHBRIDGE-STEWART, before she became Head of Scientific Research at the Unified Intelligence Taskforce (UNIT)."
- The novelisation includes a photo-section called Behind the scenes of 'Dæmos Rising', featuring a collection of eighteen colour photographs taken during the making of the DVD drama.