Another situation of dire peril is unfolding for the Doctor and his companion. However, what if it is not clear who is right and who is wrong? Who is ugly and who is beautiful?
Where does the story begin, and where does it end?
Sometimes, it is all a matter of perspective.
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Nyssa - Sarah Sutton
- Gilbrook - David Daker
- Brodlik - David Mallinson
- Lady Forleon - Jemma Churchill
- Quain - Nigel Hastings
- Seedleson - Michael Smiley
- Murone - Philip Wolff
- Veline - Emma Manton
- The Koteem / Morgue Attendant / Police Officer / Security Guard / Forleon Control / Captain Delarphim / Pilot - Nicholas Briggs
- Driver - Ian Farrington
- The story uses a non-linear narrative as a dramatic device, as all the characters within it, including the Doctor and Nyssa, experience events in chronological order.
- Writer/director Nicholas Briggs wrote the play in thematic order. The theme of the play being moral ambiguity and the difficulties that occur when the whole picture isn't clear. He recorded it in chronological order so that all the actors experienced the story as their characters would have.
- The development of the character of Lady Forleon is outlined in the CD's liner notes. In an earlier draft of the script, the character was originally to be a female cosmetic surgeon called Sabrique. This was later changed to become a male industrialist who despite appearing to be a philanthropist was in fact colluding with the criminal underworld. This was then developed into the character of Lady Foreleon as seen in the finished play.
- The CD's liner notes also mention an unused subplot concerning Nyssa's attempts to escape custody through befriending a quirky female solicitor, a character completely absent from the finished play.
- Big Finish: The Inside Story reveals that Clive Swift was originally offered and accepted the role of Gilbrook, but had to pull out at the last minute due to an illness in the family.
- This audio drama was recorded on 22 and 24 March 2003 at The Moat Studios.
- A comic preview of this story was printed in DWM 331 illustrated by Lee Sullivan.
- Official Creatures of Beauty page at bigfinish.com; note that it is out of print and is available as download only.
- DisContinuity for Creatures of Beauty at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide