- You may be looking for the Seventh Doctor novel.
Companion Piece was the second story in the audio anthology Ravenous 3, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Matt Fitton and featured Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor, Nicola Walker as Liv Chenka, Hattie Morahan as Helen Sinclair.
Publisher's summary Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Paul McGann
- Liv - Nicola Walker
- Helen Sinclair - Hattie Morahan
- River Song - Alex Kingston
- Charlotte Pollard - India Fisher
- Bliss - Rakhee Thakrar
- The Nine - John Heffernan
- Jamie McCrimmon - Frazer Hines
- Jo Grant - Katy Manning
- Leela - Louise Jameson
- Margaret - Nerys Hughes
- Romana - Lalla Ward
- Adric - Matthew Waterhouse
- Katarina - Ajjaz Awad
- The Doctor told River Song about the Nine, "as in the One and the Two, etc".
- The Nine steals Romana from a time when she is President of Gallifrey, Jamie from a point some time after he travelled with the Doctor, and Adric from a point mid-way through his travels with the Doctor.
- When the Nine says he's bringing Charley some company, she asks if it is C'rizz, but the Nine states that he intends to leave that maniac alone for a while.
- The Nine expresses distaste for River identifying a penguin as a companion, with River arguing that the penguin was perfectly valid from a certain perspective.
- The Nine steals River Song's vortex manipulator.
- Before the Time War disrupted history, Bliss studied robotics and computer science rather than temporal mechanics.
- The Nine constantly moving Charley between corridors eight and six is a reference to her having travelled between the Sixth and Eighth Doctors.
- River's remark that the penguin companion was perfectly valid was a metafctional nod to the fact that Frobisher was a comic companion who has made appearances in a novel and a couple of audios that are not directly related to other companions' experiences.
- Leela, Jo and Charley last appeared together retrospectively in The Light at the End, although in Light only Leela and Charley met and this time around none of them were aware of each other.
- Despite not interacting in this story, Leela and River Song shared an adventure in The Eighth of March, a box set which celebrated International Women's Day.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Bliss outside of the Time War.
- Ajjaz Awad makes her debut as Katarina in this story, when she "talks" to the Nine after he tries to read her mind due to the artron energy she absorbed in the TARDIS left her mind partially active even after death.
- This is a Doctor-lite story.
- Margaret has not appeared in any other stories and the story never states which Doctor she travelled with. However the corridor she is in would suggest the Fourth Doctor.
- The Nine asks Romana how she escaped from E-Space. (TV: Warriors' Gate)
- River recalls that the Doctor met Bliss during a "complex temporal event" (AUDIO: The Starship of Theseus)
- River retrieves Katarina's dead body, as the Doctor didn't get a chance to do so. (TV: The Daleks' Master Plan)
- Jamie claims having only met the Doctor once and that he barely knew him. (TV: The Highlanders) The Nine then asserts that this isn't 100% accurate. (TV: The War Games)
- Bliss comes from a timeline before the Last Great Time War, where she is a computer science student. (AUDIO: State of Bliss)
- Adam Mitchell also kidnapped and imprisoned several of the Doctor's companions. (COMIC: Prisoners of Time)