Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart was the fourth episode of Class. It was written by Patrick Ness, directed by Philippa Langdale and featured Greg Austin as Charlie Smith, Fady Elsayed as Ram Singh, Sophie Hopkins as April MacLean, Vivian Oparah, Jordan Renzo as Matteusz Andrzejewski as Tanya Adeola and Katherine Kelly as Miss Quill.
The episode focuses heavily on April and the effects that her connection with Corakinus were having on her. At the end, she ends up travelling to the Underneath to confront Corakinus once more.
The subplot involving the Governors continues, and sees a member of theirs come to Coal Hill as its new headteacher, following the disappearance of her predecessor, Mr Armitage, in The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo. She offers Quill a chance to be free from the creature inside her head.
The morality of the Rhodians as a race, especially Charlie's morality, is heavily criticised by both Tanya and Matteusz. It's further revealed that Charlie plans to one day use the Cabinet of Souls to transfer his people into the bodies of another race, effectively committing genocide.
The story concluded in Brave-ish Heart.
When April's estranged father makes a startling appearance she confronts him with Shadow Kin force, manifesting traits of the Shadow Kin leader. Frightened by this extraordinary new found power, April seeks comforts in Ram, and vows to reclaim her heart as her own.
to be added
- Miss Quill - Katherine Kelly
- Charlie - Greg Austin
- Ram - Fady Elsayed
- April - Sophie Hopkins
- Tanya - Vivian Oparah
- Matteusz - Jordan Renzo
- Dorothea - Pooky Quesnel
- Corakinus - Paul Marc Davis
- Rannus/Kharrus - Kelly Gough
- Varun - Aaron Neil
- Jackie - Shannon Murray
- Huw - Con O'Neill
- Miss Shah - Pooja Shah
- Student 1 - Moses Adejimi
- Student 2 - Ellie James
- Voice of Rannus - Neil McCaul
|Executive Producers Brian Minchin, Steven Moffat and Patrick Ness|
|Not every person who worked on this adventure was credited. The absence of a credit for a position doesn't necessarily mean the job wasn't required. The information above is based solely on observations of the actual end credits of the episodes as broadcast, and does not relay information from IMDB or other sources.|
Coal Hill School
- Coal Hill Academy has a Book Club, an Art Club and a Chess Club.
- The Level Two Careers Fair poster is seen again.
- The menu for the canteen is also visible.
- The names Williams K., Chapman R., Caroll C., Volkon P., Dawson T. and Armitage F. are added to the Coal Hill School Roll of Honours Board.
- Miss Shah teaches her class about the Battle of Dunkirk. She mentions the Wehrmacht. It is dated on the whiteboard as taking place from 26 May-4 June 1940.
- Corakinus mentions that he leads the War of the Underneath.
- Dorothea Ames is the new head teacher.
- Charlie's full alias is given as Charles Smith.
- On a fact-file belonging to the Governors, Charlie's address is given as 1 Wellington Road, London. His postcode is N1 0HR.
- The same fact-file gives Matteusz's full name as Matteusz Andrzejewski, and reveals he is 17 years old.
- Miss Shah teaches history.
- April and Ram have sex, and begin a romantic relationship.
- A fact-file belonging to the Governors names the skin-peeling dragon as a Leaf Dragon.
- Dorothea Ames points out lack of squirrels and birds near Coal Hill Academy as unusual.
- Kharrus is part of Corakinus' horde.
- Shadow Kin are disgusted by intimacy during sex.
- It would take 9,000 years of space travel to get to Earth from the Underneath; however, a portal between the two worlds can be opened with use of Shadow Kin scimitars.
- Corakinus' Shadow Palace is in the Underneath.
- Miss Quill uses a projector to show a video to her class.
- The Cabinet of Souls can be used as a weapon, being able to send a soul to kill someone. Charlie hopes similar methods can be used to put soul into a new body, however according to him such possibility is just a children's story.
- The robot the Governors sent to spy on Miss Quill was expensive and would be difficult to replace, according to Dorothea Ames.
- Ram assures Jackie that he used a condom when he had sex with April.
- Huw MacLean tried to call April.
- Rannus attempts to use an anchor of a life blood to cure Corakinus, Kharrus later succeeds in using it.
- April plays the violin, and breaks one of the strings.
- Although not shown, the distinctive voice of Brian Cox can be heard coming from the projected video in Miss Quill's physics lesson.
- A Keep Calm and Carry On poster hangs in the kitchen in the Singhs' house.
- The title of this episode is in reference to the song "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by British progressive rock band Yes, from their 1983 album, 90125.
to be added
to be added
- Ram gets out of the car to confront Huw, and should be behind him when he turns to April, but in the next shot, he's gone.
- The Underneath re-appears. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- Corakinus re-appears. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- Varun Singh promised not to tell Ram's mum about his prosthetic leg. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo)
- The Coal Hill School Roll of Honours Board appears again, including the following names: A. Okehurst, J. Gibson, D. Hatcher, M. De Courtenay, S. Baasch, S. Tollemache, H. Lamonde, P. Hobbs, J. Thorburn, H. Sturzacher, L. Sleeman, D. Young, S. Wilard-Fleming, T. J. Marsden, J. Owston-Tuff, W. Pickle, D. Roscoe, J. O'Brien, W. Tardif, B. Nagys-Kovacs, K. Yim, A. Nowak, P. Kakuszi, S. D. Michel, F. G. Whitlock, A. McWilliam, C. Shelton, L. Rawlinson, K. E. Drinkwater, and L. Millikin, A. Dunlop, H. Beyer-Cox, R. Phillips-Rees, R. D. Pink and C. Oswald. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- The Cabinet of Souls re-appears. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- April is still learning "Night Visiting" on her violin. (TV: Nightvisiting) however due to her heart-connection to Corakinus (TV: For Tonight We Might Die) she breaks a string on her violin.
- April's dad is not allowed to approach her after he tried to kill her and her mother. (TV: Nightvisiting)
- Huw again tried to call April. (TV: Nightvisiting)
- Charlie commands Miss Quill to attend parents' evening in the role of his parent. A previous parents' evening at Coal Hill had previously taken place. (TV: The Caretaker).
- Headteacher Frank Armitage is considered missing after being killed by the Leaf Dragon. He's been replaced by Dorothea Ames. (TV: The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo)
- Dorothea tells Miss Quill that the Governors speak highly of her. (TV: The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo)
- Dorothea says that you don't see so many Smiths any more, and no one under the age of 35 is called John. John Smith is a common alias of the Doctor. (PROSE: The Witch Hunters, TV: The Wheel in Space, The War Games, Spearhead from Space, The Time Warrior, PROSE: Blood and Hope, TV: The Empty Child, School Reunion, Smith and Jones, Partners in Crime, The Unicorn and the Wasp, Midnight, The Next Doctor) He even used it as an employee at Coal Hill Academy in his twelfth incarnation. (TV: The Caretaker)
- Miss Quill encountered the Inspector sent by the Governors earlier. Dorothea makes note of this. (TV: The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo)
- April mentions they killed Coach Dawson (TV: The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo) and "that Lankin thing". (TV: Nightvisiting)
- Miss Shah teaches her class about the Battle of Dunkirk. The Doctor was present at Dunkirk in his first, (PROSE: Just War, Byzantium!) eighth, (AUDIO: Fugitives) and tenth incarnations. (AUDIO: The Nemonite Invasion)
- April tells Ram more about the war she is fighting. (TV: Nightvisiting)
- Kharrus says that she fought with Corakinus on Earth. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- Tanya mentions her dad. (TV: The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo, Nightvisiting)
- April opens another rift, temporary this time, in her backyard with her Shadow Kin scimitar. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- Some of the posters from mid-October are still hanging around. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- The King and Queen of Rhodia are mentioned in Charlie's fact file. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die, Nightvisiting)
- Charlie's encounter with the Doctor is mentioned in his fact file. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- The slaughter of Rhodian and Quill were mentioned in Charlie's fact file. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- The arn is mentioned again. (TV: For Tonight We Might Die)
- On Charlie's fact file is a brief mention of UNIT and their dealings with the Doctor. (TV: The Invasion, Spearhead from Space, et al.)
Home video releases
- Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart was featured in the series one DVD boxset, which was released in the UK (Region 2) on 16th January 2017, followed by a Region 1 release on 11th July. The Region 1 release contained an additional blooper reel and various deleted scenes that were not present on the Region 2 release.
to be added
- Ram says, "I've been frightened non-stop for the last month," and, "It's been a weird month."
- In The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo, we see a plaque that tells us the Barbara Wright Building was completed in spring 2016. Additionally, Nightvisiting, set two years after Jasper Adeola's death, tells us he died in 2014. Finally, Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart confirms that Charlie and Miss Quill arrived on Earth in September 2016.