Cindy, Cleo and the Magic Sketchbook was the seventh story of the Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor comic strip series, published in 2015. It was a Doctor-lite story focusing on other characters, and saw the series debut of Jack Harkness.
Gabby's best friend Cindy remained on Earth at the end of her last adventure with the Doctor – a decision Cindy immediately regretted! Now, with only Gabby's sketchbook of unseen adventures to guide her, she must find her way back to the Doctor... but sinister forces already have her under surveillance!
Cindy sits on a park bench, reading Gabby's book. Reading a line of text mentioning Dorothy Bell, she drops the book on the bench, shocked by the fact that she had time to write it after the previous events.
The book begins to float, and turns to a page talking about a "Dark Anubis" and Sutekh. She quickly shuts it, and reopens it to find the page missing. However, the drawing of Dorothy has changed, and she realises it was not Gabby altering the book, but Dorothy.
Cleo walks over to her, and they talk. Suddenly, a man named Ebonite appears and accuses Cleo of hiding something. Cindy tries to sneak away with the book, but Ebonite releases a floating skull which discovers it. Cindy runs, and Ebonite disappears. Cleo shoots the skull and runs over to Cindy. However, the skull survived, and shoots Cleo.
Ebonite reappears and threatens Cindy to hand over the book. Erik arrives and argues with Ebonite. Ebonite shoots Erik, who falls to the ground, seemingly dead. Cindy grabs Cleo's gun and points it towards the book, threatening to destroy it. She mentions the Doctor, which shocks Ebonite.
The skull is about to shoot again, but another man walks up to Ebonite, saying he's a friend of the Doctor and has been tracking Ebonite. He shoots Ebonite, causing him to split into many smaller versions of himself. Ebonite flees as Erik gets up, saying he was saved by a personal shield generator.
Cindy and Cleo thank the man who saved them, asking for his name. He steps into the light, revealing himself to be Captain Jack Harkness.
- Gabby and Cindy went to Echo Lake when they were ten or eleven.
- Cindy compares the shrunken form of Mister Ebonite to the people of Lilliput.
- The Tenth Doctor and Gabby Gonzalez do not appear in this story, outside of drawings within Gabby's sketchbook. This makes this a Doctor-lite story.
Original print details Edit
to be added
- From Cindy, Cleo and Erik's perspectives, this story takes place immediately after Sins of the Father.
- Cindy finds Gabby's drawings of herself and the TARDIS. (COMIC: The Arts in Space)
- Gabby writes that the Doctor once told her someone told him he turned people into weapons. (TV: Journey's End)
- Gabby has noticed that the Doctor never talks about his homeworld. (TV: Rose et al.)
- In Gabby's sketchbook, she references meeting Zhe's binary apprentice. (COMIC: The Arts in Space)
- Gabby notes finding a sketchbook of landscapes signed "Turlough" hidden in the TARDIS. (TV: The Five Doctors)
- According to Gabby's writings, the Doctor sometimes absentmindedly calls her Donna. She believes that Donna was her immediate predecessor. (TV: Journey's End)
- The Doctor also often mentions going to see a writer called Sarah. (TV: School Reunion, The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith)
- Gabby has drawings of Jamie Colquhoun and a Weeping Angel in her journal. (COMIC: The Weeping Angels of Mons)
- In her journal, Gabby mentions that she and Cindy met Dorothy Bell. (COMIC: The Fountains of Forever, Spiral Staircase, Sins of the Father)
- Gabby's journal says that the Beast, the Destroyer, the Vampires, and the Early Ones all come from the same place: outside of time and the universe. (TV: Pyramids of Mars, The Satan Pit, Battlefield, State of Decay, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy)
- Cindy says that Erik is not Indiana Jones, but a resurrected superhero. (COMIC: Spiral Staircase)
- Captain Jack previously visited New York City in 1927. (TV: Immortal Sins)