Buried Treasures was a 1999 audio anthology in the Bernice Summerfield series. It was a special limited-edition subscriber-exclusive release accompanying the Time Ring Trilogy and featured first original stories about Benny recorded by Big Finish Productions.
Additionally to the two stories, the disc also included Gary Russell's interviews with Paul Cornell, the author of one of the stories and the creator of Bernice Summerfield. It also contained a music suite from Walking to Babylon and Just War, a trailer for the rest of the range and the "New Adventures Theme".
Professor Bernice Summerfield: 26th century archaeology professor, and tutor at St Oscar's University on the planet Dellah. Prone to getting involved in adventures, scrapes and general derring-do armed only with her wits, cunning and a flask of brandy! Aged about 35ish, but frequently says she's younger. Odd that...
The Time-Rings: Given to Benny and her ex-husband Jason as wedding rings, they are two extraordinarily powerful devices which, used together, can take them anywhere in time and space. Bernice has now found a reason to use them once again...
Keri the Pakhar: An investigative journalist famous for getting herself into the darkest, most dangerous corners of the galaxy to bring her stories to her audience. Brave, dedicated and frequently putting her own life at risk, she found time to be Maid of Honour at Benny's wedding and how has her own radio show onto which she can invite whosoever she pleases...
|1||Making Myths||Jacqueline Rayner||Jason Haigh-Ellery||Keri||August 1999||BFPBSBOX001|
- This special release was included in the first special offer by Big Finish Productions. The Time Ring Trilogy (Walking to Babylon, Birthright and Just War) was sold at a reduced price with Buried Treasures as a bonus CD, which was sent out together with Just War.
- This release marked the directorial debut of Jason Haigh-Ellery.
- This limited edition disc cannot be commercially re-released for contractual reasons. The stories in it can only be distributed for free. In compensation, Making Myths was released on the Big Finish Podcast in January 2010, and Closure was offered as a free download for the first week of February, 2021. Closure is also provided as a bonus with the purchase of Death and the Daleks.
- The stories were recorded on 9 January 1999 at Gary Gillatt and Ed Salt's flat.
- This release did not have a production code.
- Archived Buried Treasures page at the defunct website www.bernicesummerfield.com (1.04.2003)