There are many beasts and monsters in the universe, it is true. But the worst of them is Man.
A terrifying alien army is sweeping across the landscape, decimating towns and subjugating everyone and everything in its path. With their astute military tactics and advanced weaponry, the invaders seem unstoppable.
But this is no distant star, no alternate timeline. Trapped in a frightened city, the Doctor and his companions discover that this is Earth history, and they are powerless to intervene. The impending slaughter of thousands is a matter of grim historical fact.
Not everyone within the city is prepared to accept their fate. Desperate people embark upon desperate courses of action. They may even succeed.
For, deep beneath the city, something truly alien is stirring...
- Prologus: Separatio
- Codex I: Cecidit de coelo stella magna
- I: Tempestas ex oriens
- II: Labyrinthus
- III: In truitina mentis dubia fluctuant contraria
- IV: Eripe me de inimicus meis
- V: Confutatis meledictis, flammis acribus addictis
- VI: Rosa rubicundior, lilio candidor, omnibus formosior, semper in te glorior
- VII: Mortus in anima
- VIII: Lamenta
- IX: Terra firma
- X: Laqeus
- XI: Libertas
- XII: Sors immanis et inanis, rota tu volubilis, status malus
- XIII: Dies irae, dies illa, solvet saeclum in favilla
- XIV: Quid sum miser tunc dicturus, quem patronum rogaturus, cum vix justus sit securus?
- XV: In flagrante delicto
- XVI: Somnus ex sanitas
- XVII: Insania
- XVIII: Via lata gradior
- XIX: Pestilentia
- Codex II: Est hic finis fabulae?
- XX: Deus absconditus
- XXI: Oblationes et holocausta
- XXII: Lux aeterna luceat eis
- XXIII: Bellum gerens in caelo
- XXIV: Auditui meo dabis gaudium et laetitiam
- XXV: Libera me de sanguinibus
- XXVI: In extremis
- XXVII: Deus ex machina
- XXVIII: Angelus
- XXIX: Orbis
- XXX: Memento Mori
- Epilogus - Sic itur ad astra
to be added
- The Doctor notes that Vladimir the Great was made a saint mostly for political reasons.
- This book is also available as an ebook and from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The Doctor twice mentions the Monk and his attitude towards changing history. (TV: The Time Meddler)
- Steven recalls his argument with the Doctor after their escape from Paris during the St Bartholomew's Day massacre on 24 August 1572. His opinion has not changed. (TV: The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve)
- The Doctor says he shall have to one day tell Dodo about his encounter with Marco Polo and Kublai Khan. (TV: Marco Polo)